FTP Server + DDNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyhrzn

Cadet
So I want to access my FreeNAS from anywhere. At first I wanted to install NextCloud on it, but my company doesn't want our customer data to be stored on a cloud because of legal reasons although it's way safer than a FTP server.

My first question is: Is there a better way to access the files from anywhere except NextCloud?

VPN tunneling would be a possibility, but approximately 10 people should have access to it (mostly from their phone). I don't know if that's possible with VPN tunneling.

For the FTP server I created a user in the FreeNAS WebGUI, but I can't give it the rights for the dataset (error: Volume root directories cannot be used as user home directories). In the FTP server settings, I changed nothing except turning root login on (when I get the user-rights-thing working i'm gonna turn it off). Then I took a DynDNS and made a port forward (tried the default one (21), 20 and the passive ports in the FTP settings), but i can't access it (ftp://[dyndns adress]), but it's working with the local network. I tried to turn DynDNS on in the FreeNAS WebGUI but that didn't help much either.
So my second question is: Did I forget something while setting up the FTP?
1.PNG
2.PNG

haha yes.PNG

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
FTP sends password data as plain text. It should not be used at all. SFTP is what you need to use if you are doing this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

yyhrzn

Cadet
Thank you.

So I turned on SSH, then I forwarded port 22 and I still can't connect. And I can't find a useful guide for setting up a SFTP server.

Status
Not open for further replies.