FTP Permission settings do not save

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya everyone.

Ive been using FreeNAS for a few months now and up until now I haven't experienced this problem. I have just updated to the 8.0.2 release (formatted and started from scratch) and configured everything the same way as last time/followed every step of the documentation however, my FTP permission changes do not seem to save when I apply them.

On the FTP service settings page, whenever I allow 'execute' permissions for Owner and Group. After clicking OK I return to the page and the settings have reverted back do disallow Executes for Owner/Group.

I know its probably something trivial and small, but in its current state I cannot seem to write files via FTP onto my Backup volume. Where am I going wrong?

Many thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

EDIT*

I have created new users, changed the volume permissions for those users and changed the FTP settings accordingly. I can log in to the FTP server, but I do not have write access for some reason, despite the write box being ticked for Owner in both File and Directory in the webUI.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Those permissions, are in reality "umask"...
The permissions are converted to umask, thats why if you check 777 for file mask, it ends up 666...

Thanks for your reply William, Im afraid I am pretty new to the Linux/Unix world so you will have to bear with me.

Is there anyway I can adjust these settings from inside the webUI to allow me to write? Ive tried every possible combination of permissions and nothing seems to allow me to write to the server. Im using the same configuration as I have used previously (which worked correctly)

In the past hour I have also restored to factory defaults and created users, volumes and setup FTP from scratch. Same issue.

Bump.
It may be helpful to mention I have FreeNAS 8.0.2 installed on a USB stick and only have 1 HDD in the system currently.

Ive been looking through all the checks that are done during startup and it seems to be saving the bios to the one and only HDD, If this is the case, could that prevent that hdd from being writable? Ive reinstalled FreeNAS again from scratch and formatted the 1 HDD I use in the machine, still am unable to write using FTP (even though permissions suggest I have write permissions as the owner and group.

Might also be useful to mention that I didn't not encounter this problem when I had FreeNAS installed on an HDD instead of on a USB stick (I decided to start using the USB install because I wanted to free up the other drive bay that was otherwise wasted running FreeNAS)

Any ideas?

EDIT* Just created some AFP shares, with access for specific users and for guests, both worked no problem. Was able to create and delete files.
Which must mean my FTP problems stem from something other than the disk itself. Im totally stumped on this one. Im literally following the FreeNAS documentation to the T....

Status
Not open for further replies.