fresh install, FIPS error

mervincm

Contributor
I have a Lenovo D30 workstation I use for testing.
2 E5-2690 Xeon 128GB ECC, It is an older box, but the firmware etc. is up to date.
Booting Bluefin from USB to install, I saw FIPS errors
crypto/fips/fips_post.c:235: FIPS self test failure

I am guessing this is a self test that fails because this old system has firmware/hardware issues that do not allow it to be FIPS compliant?

It seemed to install without issue .. testing continues

mervincm

Contributor
Site searches for FIPS, FIPS error, crypo/fips where checked
scale documentation was searched for FIPS, crypto
google searches for crypto/fips/fips_post, FIPS self test failure

I am wondering if this is something new in bluefin, perhaps related to this?
Security Enhancements – API keys can enable fine-grained, Role-Based Access Control (RBAC), and restrict root privileges. CLI-Driven “Root-less” restricted administration accounts can be enabled and used to further improve Ransomware protection. FIPS 140-3 compliant crypto modules (Enterprise Only) will allow use in high-security use cases.

oblivioncth

Explorer
Same here, but on an X570 chipset, 3950X.

Just started the installer and went googling for this.

This is my first time trying TrueNAS so I don't know how older versions would have behaved.

tesna

Cadet
any news on how to fix this? is my hardware faulty?

So I was trying out truenas and unraid on my old dell optiplex with 10TB WD red drive. In the end I decided to go with truenas and buying new hardware (I'm using HPE microserver gen 10 plus, with xeon cpu, 24GB ecc ram, along with 4x10TB WD red). I'm using USB SSD as the boot drive.

However, I'm having hard time booting up truenas on the microserver. When installing I saw fips fatal error but the installer finishes anyway. However during the booting it seems the system crashed (after fips errors messages I just saw blank screen).

I thought its hardware issue, but I tried to bootl unraid it does works fine...

tesna

Cadet
it turns out truenas actually working. the blank display caused by my wqhd 144hz monitor does not support the resolution outputted by the truenas. After digging out old vga monitor I can see the messages and have trouble getting dhcp ip. After putting it manually I can use truenas.

Sorry false alarm