Fresh FreeNAS 9.1.0 Install - No Reporting Graphs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Krauska

Cadet
I've just done my first FreeNAS install, so far so good, setup a volume and doing some AFP sharing. Looking good.

But I don't see any data in 99% of the Reporting graphs.

The Diskspace graph of my Storage Volume is populating, but nothing else.
(CPU, Network, Processes are all blank..)

Please advise?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you post your FreeNAS version and hardware please?

Joel Krauska

Cadet
Can you post your FreeNAS version and hardware please?

You bet.

FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64 (dff7d13)
OS running off USB stick
HW:
Running on a HP Micro G7 N54L with a 16GB RAM upgrade
AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor
2 x 3GB WD RED drives for storage

JemmyUK

Cadet
did you do an upgrade from previous verion? I noted similar, upgraded from 8 to 9.1 and also increased RAM and changed from UFS to ZFS.
In reporting I can still see sections allocated to older UFS volumes which are not there now but the new ZFS volumes, cpu and RAM showing normally.
PS: I am noob to freenas as well, thought to share my experience if it helps.

Joel Krauska

Cadet
Figured it out.

The system clock must have been off a bit (maybe the timezone?) when I first installed FreeNAS.

CollectD (the tool that stores these graphs in RRD files) stores the RRDs here:
/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost

I took at look at the rrdtool info for a few of these files and was able to determine that the RRDs had a last updated field in the future.

[root@freenas /var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/cpu-0]# rrdtool info cpu-user.rrd | grep last_update last_update = 1377648736
[root@freenas /var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/cpu-0]# date +%s 1377642815

1377648736 > 1377642815

RRD files won't 'back populate' data older than their last_update timestamp.

It looks like I could have waited another 6000 seconds, but instead I just rm'd the bogus RRD files and we're graphing!

Feature Request: You might want to adjust collectd not to start writing RRDs until the clock is synchronized.

--joel

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You'd be amazed at how many FreeNAS servers have no internet access at all. For those people, if you wait for a clock sync, you might be waiting forever.

Glad you got it worked out though. Good luck with FreeNAS. It's a very good OS once you get used to it.

Joel Krauska

Cadet
Good point. I would expect a lot of FreeNAS to be locked down in corporate environments.

However, you can do local NTP clock sync to a local server and still have this same problem.

If the system hardware clock is set way in the future, you'll be waiting a long time before graphs appear.

A little bit of clever SW engineering ought to fix this..

WARNING: Your RRD files are dated in the future and will not receive updates until XX. Click here to rebuild your RRDs from scratch... etc.

Cheers,

Joel

D

dlavigne

That would actually be a good feature request for an alert message. Feature requests should be created at bugs.freenas.org.

shugrue

Cadet
Thanks Joel. You saved me a ton of diagnostics. In the end I ran "find /var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost -type f -iname "*.rrd" -exec rm -f {} \;" at the shell prompt and all was fine.
Once again, thanks.

Yatti420

Wizard
That would actually be a good feature request for an alert message. Feature requests should be created at bugs.freenas.org.

That is a good idea.. What about notes in documentation.. I know there is a small blurb under default gateway.. By nothing really under NTP..

Status
Not open for further replies.