issues with FreeNAS Reporting

airflow

Contributor
I have some issues with FreeNAS Reporting since a while and I don't see any improvement, so I would like to bring that up here. My release at the moment: 11.2-U6, hardware is ASRock E3C226D2I, Intel Core i3-4130T, 2x 2.90GHz, Kingston ValueRAM DIMM Kit 16GB (ECC capable), Intel P3600 nvme drive for jails.

Yes, the Reporting section (with graphs about CPU, Network, System Resources etc) looks much better than in earlier FreeNAS-releases. It's not just an image-file per graph but instead the data is rendered in the browser, which is definitely the way to go for a variety of reasons. But:
  • Even with high-end PCs display of those graphs is so sluggish and slow that it's barely usable. If you set the "Items per page" to 20 you can see that effect drastically.
  • Another problem is the large amount of graphs that are generated in some of the sections. Take "Partition" (which in my case contains 250 graphs) and "Network" (which in my case contains a whopping 312 graphs). Even if it would load super-fast (which it doesn't), it's really an impossible task to click through pages and pages of graphs to finally find the graph you need.
  • If you use jails a lot (which I do), these numbers explode because any jail results in multiple more graphs in both sections.
  • Additionally, the list contains graphs for entities that are no longer there (for example, I see partitioning-reports for datasets I have delete many month ago).
  • This is why you need filtering-options. These exist for "disk" (well done there!), but not for any other category, namely the dreaded Partition and Network sections. I have ideas for meaningful filtering-options (like drilling down via the dataset-path that are configured in the "Partition"-section or like making jails selectable to reduce the numer of graphs in the "Network"-section), but even simple fulltext-search within the titles of the graphs would help big time.
  • Besides better performance and filtering, I would also suggest kind of a bookmark-feature for graphs, where you can select certain graphs that are important to you to make them quickly available.
Your take on the subject? At the moment I have to switch to the legacy GUI to actually find the information I need. :-(
airflow

Last edited: