Fresh 9.3 install 'Panic: no init'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

After stumbling across FreeNas and its benefits on youtube I decided I wanted a bit of that and have subsequently put a build together. I have no previous experience with FreeNas and wouldn't class myself as overly technical (I tend to get by reading forums and watching youtube tutorials). But currently I'm stumped and not sure what I should even be looking for as a fix.

Having successfully installing FreeNas 9.3 onto a 8GB usb flashdrive (I think) following the website's guidance I was prompted to remove the installation media and reboot the system. Whilst FreeNAS was booting up it stops after a while with the following text on screen:

SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
Timecounter "TSC-low" frequency 1696104326 Hz quality 1000
Trying to mount root from zfs: freenas-boot/ROOT/default []...
Init: not found in path /sbin/init:/sbin/oinit:/sbin/init,bak:/rescue/init:/stand/sysinstall
Panic: no init
cpuid = 0
KDB: stack backtrace:
kdb_trace_self_wrapper() at db_trace_self_wrapper+0x2a/frame 0xffffff8000258850
kdb_backtrace() at kdb_backtrace+0x37/frame 0xffffff8000258910
panic() at panic+0x1ce/frame 0xffffff8000258a10
start_init() at start_init+0x27a/frame 0xffffff8000258aa0
Fork_exit() at fork_exit+0x11f/frame oxffffff8000258af0
Fork_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0xe/frame 0xffffff8000258af0
---trap 0, rip = 0, rsp = 0xffffff8000258bb0, rbp = 0 ---
KDB: enter: panic
[ thread pid 1 tid 100002 ]
Stopped at kdb_enter+0x3b: movq $0,0xd03fb2(%rip)
kdb>

If anyone can offer a fix or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried re-downloading FeeNAS 9.3 and starting again - same result. I have also used multiple USB drives and even one of my hard drives, again same result.

Thank you in advance.

Hardware:
Gigaabyte H81N itx motherboard
i3 intel processor
3 x WD red 3TB drives
8GB DDR3 RAM

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
You're trouble may be many things Rob, have a look at this html document for 9.3
and try following the installation steps exactly as given in that guide.
Your hardware is not recommended for FreeNas (desktop motherboard & non-ECC memory)
but it should still work, just not well...
Check out the stickies in the forum, they are loaded with useful info that a noobie can use to head
off many mistakes and false assumptions.

D

dlavigne

Just to confirm, you have 2 USB sticks? One for the install media and one to install into?

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in replying dlavigne, been away with work. Yes i have 2 USB sticks. Thank you for your comments BigDave too.

Having read Cyberjock's hardware recommendations thread i have bought a Supermicro X10SLL-F motherboard and 16GB of compatible ECC RAM but this doesn't appear to have helped/resolved this issue.

As i mentioned above the installation of FreeNAS onto the 2nd USB stick appears to go well... i'm asked to remove CD/image and reboot system at which point i come across this (photo of screen).
view

Any thoughts? If someone can take pity on my FreeNAS ignorance and assist it would be greatly appreciated :).

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No clue what is wrong there.

Just to ask the stupid question, did you compare the checksum of the ISO after you downloaded it against the checksum provided? Did you install the most recent build?

If I were you, I'd install to your USB stick over IPMI and virtual media so you only need 1 USB stick for install. ;)

Heck, if you wanted to be a BA you could use both USB sticks for mirrors.

Sam Clarke

Cadet
@Rob_Titterington I'm wondering if you had any luck solving this issue? I'm struggling with the same problem, with slightly different spec (although it is a consumer board and non-ECC RAM):

CaseFractal Design - Define R5
Power SupplyCorsair CX 500W Modular
MotherboardGigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
CPUIntel Core i5-4590 3.30GHz
Memory1 x Kingston 8GB (DDR3)
Storage1 x Western Digital Green - 2TB

I wrote a bit about my process here if that helps? http://samclarke.me/2015/03/07/attemping-to-setup-freenas/

Sam Clarke

Cadet
It looks as though there was an issue with FreeNAS 9.3 (Actually released the day I was having these problems). I downgraded my install files to FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 and it worked immediately.

theaddies

Contributor
In case anyone has this happen and stumbles upon this thread I had the same issues whilst trying to install FreeNAS 11. I reformatted the USB drives and ended up having no issues. My motherboard is a X10SL7-F.

Inxsible

Guru
Holy necro-bump, Batman !!!

theaddies

Contributor
I am sorry if I made a mistake in posting my comment. I can delete it if it was inappropriate. People get bitched out for not searching previous posts and then when they do, they get criticized for doing so.

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
I am sorry if I made a mistake in posting my comment. I can delete it if it was inappropriate. People get bunnyed out for not searching previous posts and then when they do, they get criticized for doing so.
Well I find I've been following this thread all these years! Did you reformat the one with the install iso on it, or the target one used for the working system? The first shouldn't make a difference, but they are temperamental devices. I'd go for SSDs unless short of SATA ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.