FreeNAS won't show files

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozee89

Dabbler
Recently my first HDD crashed and I had to do a fresh install to another HDD l, my files are saved on my second HDD so nothing is lost. My problem is when I click on "Add windows share" a menu pops up showing me the path of the share, now I can see the files and folders no problems at all, however when I add the share and try to navigate using my FreeNAS IP address in windows explorer I can see the folders that I have shared BUT without the files inside the folder. Now that is confusing I wonder how should I access my files inside the folder. Any help?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A fresh install? Did you import your volume? Please provide all the details as lined out in the forum rules

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Do you have a backup copy of your config? You can just upload that and not worry about setting things up. This could also be a permission problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

joeschmuck

Old Man
I agree, this looks more like a permissions issue.

bozee89

Dabbler
Do you have a backup copy of your config? You can just upload that and not worry about setting things up. This could also be a permission problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I did not backup any config file and I am not quite sure how to start configuring some permissions...

I haven't done any permission setting much, the only thing I have done is creating 2 users and both of them have permissions to access the folder... That is all...

joeschmuck

Old Man
Have you consulted the user manual at all, chapter 10 Sharing. Or have you tried a Google search for something like "freenas cannot see cifs shares" or something like that? Read the document first, ensure you are allowing guests. Then you can go to your shares and set the permissions to 777 and make them recursive. This will allow everyone access to the files.

How about posting a screen shot of the Sharing tab and Windows (SMB) tab?

FreeNAS is not the easiest software to use but it's not terrible either. I suspect based on the wording in your first posting that you are running a system not quiet up to our recommended specs. Not saying it won't work but please post your system specs per the forum rules.

bozee89

Dabbler
Have you consulted the user manual at all, chapter 10 Sharing. Or have you tried a Google search for something like "FreeNAS cannot see cifs shares" or something like that? Read the document first, ensure you are allowing guests. Then you can go to your shares and set the permissions to 777 and make them recursive. This will allow everyone access to the files.

How about posting a screen shot of the Sharing tab and Windows (SMB) tab?

FreeNAS is not the easiest software to use but it's not terrible either. I suspect based on the wording in your first posting that you are running a system not quiet up to our recommended specs. Not saying it won't work but please post your system specs per the forum rules.
Yes i did and I researched but with minimal results not helping me at all, I will gather the information you requested and get back to you.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Damn, I thought I has typed the following information. When you change the file permissions to 777, you are allowing anyone to be able to modify/delete these files. This is fine for most home systems but if you are hosting something on the internet then you must be careful. I don't expect you are doing this because of your lack of permissions knowledge. If you are putting your FreeNAS on the internet then you need to set permission and limit access as desired.

So just take your time and read the manual and you should be fine. Posting the screen capture will help us out if you need further help.

bozee89

Dabbler
Okey i'll try the 777 permission setting and investigate further.

Status
Not open for further replies.