Freenas with trunked port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixthmoon

Dabbler
Does Freenas 9.x work ok with a trunked port? I have a test box working ok with an access port, but when I had the network engineers switch the connection to a trunked port with multiple vlans defined, I couldn't get it working again.

9.2 and 9.3
2 10 Gb nics - LACP config

Thx,

M-

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You have to know how to set it up properly, both in FreeNAS, on the switch, and on your network. FreeNAS is pretty simple IMO (I think it's covered in detail in the manual), but too many people are clueless when it comes to the switch configuration and proper network configurations, so that's the places for most problems.

Sixthmoon

Dabbler
With 120 ESXi servers on the network in a trunked port config, I think we can safely say we have the network configuration for trunked ports correct.

Why in several of the threads when people were having network problems with trunked ports, the suggestion was always "switch the interface to an access port"?

I agree with you that the Freenas setup seems fairly simple. That is why I am a little skeptical that it will work. There isn't much to possibly get wrong. I'll give it another shot.

bmh.01

Explorer
FreeNAS works perfect fine with a vlan trunked port, you are doing something wrong.

You are assigning a VLAN to the correct port then addressing the virtual interface it created yes?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
With 120 ESXi servers on the network in a trunked port config, I think we can safely say we have the network configuration for trunked ports correct.

Why in several of the threads when people were having network problems with trunked ports, the suggestion was always "switch the interface to an access port"?

I agree with you that the Freenas setup seems fairly simple. That is why I am a little skeptical that it will work. There isn't much to possibly get wrong. I'll give it another shot.

There is a heck of a lot that you could get wrong on both the switch and the server side. Network configurations are unforgiving to seemingly trivial errors.

Both VLAN and link aggregation configurations are tricky individually. The combination of both requires careful configuration and validation of proper operation. It will work fine if correctly set up.

Sixthmoon

Dabbler
Well it worked the 2nd time. Have no idea what I did differently on the 1st go.

Reset ix0 and ix1 interfaces.
Setup ix0 and ix1 in lagg0, rebooted.
Setup vlanXX on lagg0 and assigned a static IP. Gateway pingable - check!
Setup vlanYY on lagg0 and assigned a static IP. New IP pingable - check!

Switches are Juniper QFX 3500's. ( for future reference, in case anyone needs info or assistance on the config. )

Status
Not open for further replies.