Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

FreeNAS with Raspberry Pi. Is It Possible?

I would like to run FreeNAS via Raspberry Pi for my website Silicophilic for a data backup project for the Website. Is it possible to run it from a Pi device? If yes how is the performance? Would there be any issue?

Chris Moore

Super Moderator

HoneyBadger

Mushroom! Mushroom!
FreeNAS itself? Absolutely not.

However, you could in theory run an OS on the rPI that has a compatible OpenZFS implementation, and use it as a replication target - although given the hardware limitations of the rPI (RAM, lack of appropriate storage connectivity, etc) I would suggest a low-power x86 device instead.

It's a whole new game now with the Pi 4 out, 4 Gig of RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3: Sounds like the perfect base for a small home server.
Any thoughts?

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
It's a whole new game now with the Pi 4 out, 4 Gig of RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3: Sounds like the perfect base for a small home server.
Any thoughts?
FreeNAS calls for a minimum of 8GB and the recommendation is that you use ECC memory. Add to that the need multiple SATA or SAS drive ports and I don't see how the Pi 4 changes anything.

CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet

FreeNAS Experienced
FreeNAS calls for a minimum of 8GB and the recommendation is that you use ECC memory. Add to that the need multiple SATA or SAS drive ports and I don't see how the Pi 4 changes anything.
Not to mention the Pi 4 uses an ARM CPU.

Sounds like the perfect base for a small home server.

Any thoughts?
That really depends on a user's definition of "small" and "perfect". For me, my HPE Gen8 Microserver is "small" (albeit not perfect). It also depends on what is required of the server and thus, whether FreeNAS is even a good choice for the theoretical user in question.

If using FreeNAS is a requirement (i.e. if FreeNAS was chosen for the right reasons and that it's requirements are worth the added expense, hardware requirements, power usage and physical space), then the Pi 4 (and every other SBC I've seen so far) is the polar opposite of perfect due to the various reasons already stated by myself and Chris. On the hand, if a users requires the smallest device possible to act as a basic NAS, then the Pi 4 might be a good candidate... hell, with the right GNU / Linux distro and 4GB of RAM, it might even be possible/usable to run ZFS.

Thanks for the information, Chris.

sabi-tech

If you want to use a Raspberry Pi you could look at using Open Media Vault. It's been ported to the Pi.

I've had a Raspberry Pi buried 3 feet underground in a PVC pipe with a 2TB drive served over iSCSI for 7 years and counting. It's all powered by POE. I'd do it the same way again for backup. Only trick is you have to recompile Raspbian kernel with iSCSI support.
IMG_3813.jpg

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
I've had a Raspberry Pi buried 3 feet underground in a PVC pipe with a 2TB drive served over iSCSI for 7 years and counting. It's all powered by POE. I'd do it the same way again for backup. Only trick is you have to recompile Raspbian kernel with iSCSI support.
The question was not about using Raspbian, it was about using FreeNAS.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The question was not about using Raspbian, it was about using FreeNAS.
Yes, but this is the Off-topic forum, and there were multiple questions implicit. If FreeNAS is not supported, it's still fair game to answer the question of how to get fileserver functionality out of a Pi.

Just take a look at the Pogoplug NAS and you will get an idea of how many people are looking for some basic functionality.