FreeNAS will not boot after resetting to default settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogger35

Dabbler
This is FreeNAS 9.2.1
After booting and selecting to reset system to defaults the server booted up to this error

freenas warning: bad definition on file /boot/loader.conf.local
It continues to boot and I can't catch all the error messages but there is a lot, the system just hangs and loops with
Key error:'get pwudi():uid not found:0'

I am not a Linux guy but know some basics just looking for some direction on how to hopefully fix this so I don't loose my data on the drives.

theDogger

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, it looks like your boot device is bad. Get a new boot device, install the latest FreeNAS version and import your config file. Your data is safe as long as you don't create a new pool on your disks.

Dogger35

Dabbler
boot device are you referring to HW or SW? This is SW not a HW issue...

I have a backup conf. How do I re-install and not wipe what is on the drives?

theDogger

gpsguy

If you boot from a flash drive then it's your boot device, you can install FreeNAS to another flash drive using any computer.

Sent from my phone

Dogger35

Dabbler
Ok so just burn a new image file to a USB stick and then once booted I should be able to bring in a backfile that I have? So this will not touch the data on the drives then....It will recognize the 4 drives and set in relation to the backup?

theDogger

Dogger35

Dabbler
OK re-imaged the flash drive to 9.2.1 and booted up fine, restore a backup and now things are really slow. The menu tree on the left just has the progress bar pulsing and no menu's show up.

If I go into say plug-ins its sits there and nothing populates. I was able to see my media share and the created folders. But the share does not show up on the Win box. I would just like to recover the files off the RAID and wipe everything and start from scratch if this is not fixable.

Any thoughts?

theDogger

krikboh

Patron
Did you re-image to the same flash drive? The concern was your drive may be bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogger35

Dabbler
Yes I did re-image the same flash drive. I don't think that was the issue though, what had originally happened is that I lost power when doing a reset in the CLI when the reset just started. I am assuming that it fubarred the conf. I can try a different flash tonight though.

thanks

Dogger35

Dabbler
I did a little poking around and this looks like a known bug of sorts. I did not have much time to work on it....so this evening I will do a few things that were suggested and see if that resolves the issue. Is there a way to see what version the backup was done on? I am pretty sure that I was on 9.2.1.7 and that is what I made the backup of. The backup is a *.db I have not tried to open it to see if it is in plain txt.

theDogger

Dogger35

Dabbler
So here is a screen shot of what I have going on...
nasload.png

It just sits here loading not matter what tab it is.....got this from the footer msg
Nov 19 19:32:55 freenas notifier: nginx: configuration file /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
Nov 19 19:32:55 freenas notifier: Starting nginx.
Nov 19 19:33:15 freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:526] Couldn't retrieve http://192.168.20.2/plugins/plexmediaserver/1/_s/treemenu: timed out

any thoughts?

Dogger35

Dabbler
Ok here is what I am seeing....nothing will load..
nasload.png

cli.jpg

The ntpd is resolved but not the errors

Dogger35

Dabbler
figured it out......changed firewalls and had to add a policy to allow the NAS out to the internet

Tywin

Contributor
figured it out......changed firewalls and had to add a policy to allow the NAS out to the internet

Ooh boy, this keeps getting better.. As a general rule, sticking your NAS on the Internet is best avoided when possible. At the very least, you probably want an intermediary, like an FTP server. Minimize your exposed surface area.

Status
Not open for further replies.