FreeNAS Web Gui Very Sluggish

Status
Not open for further replies.

dllarson

Cadet
Hi,

(I'm a FreeNAS and FreeBSD noob with lots of Linux and Windows systems experience.
My intention is to used FreeNAS as a holder of the families photos, music, etc...)
The problem:

Many of the items in the web gui are very slow. They wait many minutes before showing any information. Among them:

- Viewing the menu tree on the left side of the Gui.
- Viewing Plugins
- Viewing Jails
- Viewing Jail Templates
- Creating a Jail

It's almost unusable as some repaints restart the whole waiting process.

My system info:

Hostname: freenas.xxxxxx.xxx
Build: FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35)
Platform: AMD A10-7850K APU with Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics
Memory: 15279MB
System Time: Sun May 04 11:27:13 CDT 2014
Uptime:11:27AM up 48 mins, 0 users
Load Average:0.00, 0.00, 0.00

My ZFS file system is on 4 x 4GB Red Sata WD Drives using RaidZ2.

Generally the server hardware is doing pretty much nothing and yet it's still very sluggish.
As my FreeBSD knowledge is currently sparse I'm not sure where to look. Network activity is non-existent on my LAN.

I've used various CIFS shares and a large iSCSI storage using this install and those are performing just fine.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

- Dale

Erich

Dabbler
Hi Dale,
thanks for the trouble description -- I'm having the exact same behaviour here. With a similar system configuration, too.

FreeNAS 9.2.1.3 on 5 Drives 1 TB in RaidZ2 config.

All features besides Jails are snappy, every GUI update or minor config change related to jails takes minutes.

I'm having a mixture of portjails and a standard jail.

Any hints highly welcome.

Nick2253

Wizard
Have you checked the processor load? Might want to enable SSH to work around the web gui while troubleshooting the problem.

D

dlavigne

Jail issues are usually network related, I wonder if there is a name resolution or an ARP issue. Anything network related in /var/log/messages?

dllarson

Cadet
My system is running very well but I can't figure out what fixed the situation.

I did wipe all my plugin's and jails and left the system alone. A day later I logged in and everything is running like lightning!

It must be jail related. Next time I'll try to be more attentive as to what went in.

Two jail gave me lots of troubles with network connectivity (it didn't work at all.) They were Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04. When I removed them my system was still slow so I assumed those couldn't be the culprit. Perhaps I was wrong.

It would be great if the Ubuntu jails worked but that's another topic.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.