FreeNas + web app?

korylek1231

Cadet
Hi!
I bought Dell PowerEdge T110 II (didn't came yet) for freeNas and my dad asked me if he may also use it to host a web app on it (propably in Java) and because we live in 2 separate places, he need to have acess to it over newtork. I haven't already bought yet ssd for the system and before i do, i have few questions.
1. Should i buy two separate ssd for Freenas and app or just one with more space?
2. Does the best option is to host app on Freenas vm machine or there are other options?

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Depends on the web app. TrueNAS supports FreeBSD native containers called "jails" and VMs that can run various Linux and Windows versions.

Many users run web based "stuff" like Nextcloud or Apache Guacamole, or Gitea in jails successfully.

korylek1231

Cadet
Depends on the web app. TrueNAS supports FreeBSD native containers called "jails" and VMs that can run various Linux and Windows versions.

Many users run web based "stuff" like Nextcloud or Apache Guacamole, or Gitea in jails successfully.
If he build it in jail or VM will have acces to it over network? Or only with something like openvpn? I have public ip if it matters (propably yes)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Having a static public IP is a good thing to have. Everything else depends on the precise nature of that "web app", if you have administrative control over your uplink router, if the router in question can do port forwarding, ... many complex issues here that are completely independent of the "jail or VM" question.

Try setting it up so you have access in your local LAN. E.g. in a jail. If that works try to get the rest of the puzzle solved. Ask your provider. Ask a friend who is a network engineer. Post all information (type of uplink, precise router model, internal IP addresses, ...) on this forum and we can try to help - but nobody here knows all possible routers on this planet ...

Etc.