FreeNAS - USB2/3, Firewire 800/400, eSATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmacka88

Patron
Is there any way to run freenas as is but still have the capability to transfer files faster via other methods such as USB2/3, Firewire 800/400, eSATA. I would like to set up a freeness system but am worried about slow transfer rates while I am transferring files over.

anyone who can help or has an idea how to do it, would be great to know.

cheers

tmacka88

Patron
Can Anyone answer this???

maikolator

Cadet
I am wondering and want to use the exact same thing.
I want to setup a FreeNAS server and have my Macbook connect to it directly via FW800 instead of over the network (NAS) or iSCSI.
There are many third-party enclosures that support this functionality. Does FreeNAS support such a thing?
I have a FW400 port on the FreeNAS server that is detected during bootup. Its being detected as a network interface.

I havent tried it yet but can this be used for direct computer-to-computer connection for accessing FreeNAS as a DAS?

Spacedj1

Cadet
I have 10TB of data on 3 external drive all supporting USB/FW800/eSATA (HFS+) , is there a way I can install an eSATA card to the NAS and directly transfer these files to it?

lrusak

Explorer
no, Freenas is a Network attached storage device. You have to connect it to a network to allow transfers.

PosGuy

Dabbler
You should be able to plug in a USB drive to a FreeNas box, mount it and transfer all the files over to the new disk. I did this and the USB transfer was much quicker than over a 100Mbps network. You should also be able to plug in sata, firewire, or any other drive to your freenas box, mount it and transfer the files. I've read that ntfs support can be iffy. I had no problem mounting a fat32 usb drive and copying files other than the fact that fat32 has a max of 4GB file size. Read up on mount_msdosfs (fat) mount_ntfs and ntfs-3g commands on how to mount drives. Once mounted you have access to the files and can copy them. This is all done via a command line interface.

ProtoSD

MVP
I have 10TB of data on 3 external drive all supporting USB/FW800/eSATA (HFS+) , is there a way I can install an eSATA card to the NAS and directly transfer these files to it?

FreeNAS (FreeBSD) doesn't support HFS+ either, so the only real option anyway is copying over the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.