SOLVED FreeNAS Update recommendation

Alpha-Inc.

Dabbler
Hello everybody,

My FreeNAS System is currently running on 11.3.
In the early days, when I was first introduced to FreeNAS, I was given the recommendation to only update if the next but one stable-train is available (Meaning I should first update from 11.3 to 12.0 when 12.1 comes out). I’m not sure if this recommendation is a little extreme and therefore I wanted to ask if it’s „safe“ to update to the 12.0 U5.1/U6 train now in terms of common bugs and problems?

Also, If I update my system, do I need to configure anything in order for my Plugins to be usable „out-of-the-box“? IIRC, when 11.3 was released there was a migration to the iocage-system which had to be done by the user.

Edit: I only use Plex.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
11.3 to 12.0-U5.1 is pretty safe. Be sure to check out the release notes for all the intervening versions before you pull the trigger.

Alpha-Inc.

Dabbler
Alright, I will do this. Thank you.
Will the release notes also tell me about my Plugin-question meaning if i need to keep something in mind?

Also do I need change the "train" for my plugins or is this done automatically when I update my system ?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You'll need to manually upgrade your Plex plugin via iocage upgrade plex --release 12.2-RELEASE.