FreeNas update from 9.2.9 to 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freesnofla

Patron
Hi Folks,

I like to do the update this evening and have a question concerning the plug in I'm running on the device.

1. Crashplan
  2. Plex
  3. Owncloud 7
What about your recommendation? Any areas where I should take care or can I "just" update as usual?

regards
freesnofla

D

dlavigne

In theory, these should continue to work as there shouldn't be any ABI changes between 9.2 and 9.3.

In practice, you may decide after upgrading to create new jails (which will now be running 9.3), install the latest versions of your software, check your configs, and once everything is working in the new jails, delete the old jails.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Do the pkg update and pkg upgrade not keep the jails up to date?

D

dlavigne

Jails are not updated at all. They simply live on a dataset in the pool. The upgrade is only for the freenas OS.

While pkg tools will keep the apps in the jail uptodate, they don't touch the OS running in the jail.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
BUt if you do a"uname -a" in the jail it still reports FreeNAS 9.3 So what exactly isn't upgraded? I understand the datasets aren't upgraded, but when I asked a dev about this they said it doesn't matter. So why does it (or doesn't it) matter? I'm asking because I don't have a solid answer for this IMO.

sremick

Patron
I'm very much interested in this well. I've read many threads about this and have yet to find a consistent answer to what is a pretty legit and series question. If I don't have to manually recreate my jails, that'd be really nice and I'd like to know.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Jails are not updated at all. They simply live on a dataset in the pool. The upgrade is only for the freenas OS.

While pkg tools will keep the apps in the jail uptodate, they don't touch the OS running in the jail.

So unless and complete rebuild of the jails is done they will always remain on the old kernel? Is there no possible way to upgrade the OS in the jails without destroying and rebuilding them? What are the ramifications of running old jails on an updated freenas system?

tmueko

Explorer
I think the Jails use the Kernel from FreeNAS, so its 9.3,
but the userland and everything you install is still 9.2.x .
When you Jail was created, a clone from an zfs snapshot (8.2.x userland) was done.
For Example on an FreeNAS 9.3 you have ssh and sshd from openssh-6.6.1, In your old Jail you shoud have something like 6.2.

If I had to upgrade this clone, I would try to install 9.3 FreeNAS sources and do a
make installworld DESTDIR=/mnt/<zpool>/<jaildir>/...
But maybe its smarter to save the config from the Plugin and reinstall it!?

Freesnofla

Patron
Well now I'm getting nervous does it mean that when I delete the jail I also loose my music/photos/documents = running owncloud7. How can I save the config. from a plugin?

Status
Not open for further replies.