SOLVED FreeNAS Tower Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I have looked far and wide for a case I could stuff a load of drives into and wouldn't break the bank. Here was my solution.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...Jve-93nvMACFUZbfgodYEcA9g&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Antec Nineteen Hundred

antec_1900_41t.JPG

For about $200, I am happy with the outcome. A close second was the Rosewill
RSV-L4500
ImgPrd-2312-Cm%5Bc0a4ae669d8b48589c02c9343d523980%5D.jpg

This one could be had for $100. At the end of the day, I felt a tower fit my needs better that a rackmount. Just like Sandra Bullock, I don't have a rack.

Seems to be a recurring topic/question. Thought I would share what I have found.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Quite an unusual case, the nineteen hundred. When I first saw it, I though something like "how the hell won't it tip over?"

How easily accessible are those HDD trays?

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Quite an unusual case...

It is pretty typical to see (or used to be) dimensions like this in what they call a full tower. Seems like there is a movement toward smaller and smaller cases. Seems like every time I read something, they are telling me how obsolete desktop computers are. I myself, am a desktop man. I like ample cases. In a server case, size is a must. You really are hard pressed to find full towers such as these. And when you do happen to find a full tower, they put an emphasis on 5.25 bays rather than 3.5 bays.

...the nineteen hundred. When I first saw it, I though something like "how the hell won't it tip over?"

The full tower can tip over if you have cats who like to springboard off of it (raises hand). Then again, they overturn my computer chair on a regular basis. The cats are the issue, not the case.

How easily accessible are those HDD trays?

I should have said something about this in my original post. This is what I was most impressed with. For the top 6 drives, you can remove the slide panels on both sides. The panel on the bottom side of the motherboard, exposes the drive cabling. The panel with the window that exposes the top of the motherboard, exposes the other side of the drive. This is the side you use to insert and remove the drives. The great thing about this is the drives are unobstructed. You don't need to unplug a bunch of other stuff to get the drives out.

On the bottom 6 drives, there are panels on each side that flip down with the push of a button. Here again, the cabling is on the motherboard side while providing unobstructed ingress and egress of the drives on the other side.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm no stranger to stupidly large cases (two desktops housed in Cooler Master HAF X cases), but the sheer height of that thing (or at least perceived height from the pictures) makes me nervous...

9C1 Newbee

Patron
It is hella tall. 27 inches x 8 1/2 inches wide. (69cm x 22cm). In reality it really isn't an issue. The power supply is located at the bottom. Along with the disks it provides a lower center of gravity. I can certainly see why you would think that by looking at it. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.