FreeNAS to WD Cloud drive solution wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmarauder99

Dabbler
I have a FreeNAS v9.3 system up and running, and am very happy with it.
The one thing I want to do is to be able to organise scheduled backup to an external drive.
The drive I have is a WD Cloud 4Tb, which sits on my local network.
So my question is how can I schedule a backup via a cron job to backup specified folders to the WD Cloud?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have a FreeNAS v9.3 system up and running, and am very happy with it.
The one thing I want to do is to be able to organise scheduled backup to an external drive.
The drive I have is a WD Cloud 4Tb, which sits on my local network.
So my question is how can I schedule a backup via a cron job to backup specified folders to the WD Cloud?
I think you can rsync your data to it. It might require some hackery on your My Cloud device.

darkmarauder99

Dabbler
Hackery of the WD cloud is not an option.
All I'm trying to do is copy from FreeNAS to the WD cloud locally, no level of synchronisation back and forth.
So it's not possible to just schedule the server to copy to a specified local ip address based share?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Yes it is possible using rsync.
No it isn't possible to schedule a copy from freenas to a CIFS share.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes it is possible using rsync.
No it isn't possible to schedule a copy from freenas to a CIFS share.
A few more thoughts on the matter:
  • I still think that rsync is the best option if it is available at all (might be worth your time to look into it).
  • You can use "mount_smbfs" to mount the MyCloud's CIFS share on your FreeNAS (for instance as /mnt/MyCloud) and then have a cronjob copy the folders to /mnt/MyCloud. This is less than ideal because you are essentially going around behind the GUI's back to do things. If you expect this to be a long-term solution, you will also need to figure out a way to make this mount persistent. Don't expect a whole lot of help if you do this.
  • You can have a windows client map a share on the FreeNAS and your MyCloud, and use robocopy to sync the two up.

Last edited:

mjws00

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.