FreeNAS to FreeNAS Sync?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogi

Explorer
Hi, I’m about to build a 2nd FreeNAS box which will be identical to my current one:
  • HP Microserver N36L
  • 8Gb ECC RAM
  • 4 x Hitachi 3 TB (7k3000) HDDs
  • NC360T Dual Gig NIC + on-board in LAGG
I would like for this to be a real-time replica of the first. What’s the best way to do this?

Durkatlon

Patron
For real-time replica I would definitely go with ZFS snapshots+replication. For slightly less frequent replication (once a day for instance), rsync might be the better choice, only because it seems to be easier to use and get going. I'm sure once you have a smooth running ZFS replication setup, it's just as good and stable, I just had a hard time with it when i was futzing around with the myriad settings and ssh keys.

nogi

Explorer
Thanks guys. I'm wondering if setting up a daily rsync is going to be easier for me to get going from day 1. I've just printed the FreeNAS manual for some lunch time reading.

nogi

Explorer
Ok, I setup rsync as per http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Rsync_Tasks for syncing between 2 FreeNAS servers. It’s working but not like the way I would like….

Source mount: /mnt/DATA
Destination mount: /mnt/KDATA

I was expecting the contents of DATA to be replicated into KDATA but instead, it’s replicating to KDATA/DATA. How can I prevent it from creating a sub-directory?

I want
Code:
/mnt/DATA/Folder 1
/mnt/DATA/Folder 2
/mnt/DATA/Folder 3

To replicated as
Code:
/mnt/KDATA/Folder 1
/mnt/KDATA/Folder 2
/mnt/KDATA/Folder 3

Not as
Code:
/mnt/KDATA/DATA/Folder 1
/mnt/KDATA/DATA/Folder 2
/mnt/KDATA/DATA/Folder 3

Milhouse

Guru
Try adding /. to the source directory...

Also best to work out the required rsync arguments at the CLI (using --dry-run option), adding -i to show what files would be transferred and where.

Something like "rsync -tiprogl --delete --dry-run /mnt/DATA/. /mnt/KDATA" might work.

Edit: As Durkatlon suggests, just a slash should fix your problem.

nogi

Explorer
Ok, adding the /. at the end of the path doesn't appear to do anything. When it saves, it removes it?

Milhouse

Guru
Hmmm yes, the GUI will remove trailing slashes... I might consider that a bug/enhancement.

Durkatlon

Patron
Hah hah, weak. :D I guess this is why I used a manual script instead of the GUI to set up rsync. Yeah, you should file a bug report on this one. Hard to believe other people haven't complained about this yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.