FreeNAS to FreeNAS Backup via Syncthing & separate network connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus

Explorer
Hi all, just wondered if this might be possible.

I have 2 FreeNAS Servers, The Primary backs up data to a second smaller FreeNAS server via Syncthing. This has been working fine but I wondered rather than having all the network traffic on my home network would it be possible to install second NIC's in Each FreeNAS Server and then use CrossOver Cable to perform the backup function?

If possible wondered how might be achieved or if there is any detail to follow to do this?

Both Servers are running latest FreeNAS Versions.
Thanks for looking have a great day!
Rgds

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The initial answer would be yes, it is possible, but the how of it depends on a couple things. Why are you using Syncthing?

cygnus

Explorer
The initial answer would be yes, it is possible, but the how of it depends on a couple things. Why are you using Syncthing?
Hi Chris firstly thanks for responding, I'm just actively backing up photo's, music etc to ensure I have a second copy of them IF the worst happened. FreeNAS in this instance is purely for home use and NOT business. Would you perhaps suggest a better, quicker option to perform this?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't know how quick Syncthing is because I have never used it, but I use rsync which is a built-in function of FreeNAS for synchronization between two FreeNAS systems and it works for me. The configuration for rsync allows you to select the interface (if you have more than one) and the IP address of the source and target systems. It should be very easy to setup a different subnet on the second NIC of each system and configure rsync to use that for communication.
Here is a nice tutorial on configuring rsync:
http://thesolving.com/storage/how-to-sync-two-freenas-storage-using-rsync/

danb35

Hall of Famer
Really, if you're backing up from one FreeNAS box to another, ZFS replication is the obvious answer. Yes, you can set up separate NICs for this (give them IPs on a different subnet), and you don't even need to bother with a crossover cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.