FreeNAS to FreeBSD pool import issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

croquagei

Cadet
Hi guys

After having numerous USB sticks give me corruption errors i went and bought an SSD. Given most of the boot device space is wasted by FreeNAS i decided to try FreeBSD.

I started by exporting my FreeNAS zpool then physically removing the drives.

I got on my merry way installing and configuring FreeBSD on my shiny new SSD. When i had FreeBSD working I plugged in my storage array (3x4TB raidz) and booted up. I ran

zpool import

And much to my dismay it said:

Unable to attach to ada0p2

vol1 id: 4756527469264601052 state: DEGRADED status: One or more devices are missing from the system. action: The pool can be imported despite missing or damaged devices. The fault tolerance of the pool may be compromised if imported. see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q config:
vol1 DEGRADED
raidz1-0 DEGRADED
3314751474969842165 UNAVAIL cannot open
diskid/DISK-Z302YYH5p2 ONLINE
diskid/DISK-Z302YXPLp2 ONLINE
Strange because it was working fine a week ago. I can't read my drives s/n so i decided to just dc the power and sata cables of a drive then boot back up and go with trial and error till i found the problem drive. Here's where the strange things happened.

No matter which disk i removed, when i ran zpool import it came back saying two drives were unavailable and thus the pool was unimportable. Truly quite bizarre so i plugged all three in and I had the same output as i pasted above.

Getting really concerned now I plugged in my FreeNAS usb stick and booted into FreeNAS. Imported the pool without issue.

I can't for the life of me figure out:
1. why when three drives are plugged in one in unavailable. And when any 2 of the three are plugged in only one is available.

2. Why can FreeNAS import and export the pool without issue?

EDIT:
Thought i should also include my hardware setup.

I'm using a an Asrock C2550D4I motherboard. The storage drives are connected to the Intel controller SATA 2 ports and the SSD (my freebsd install) is on the one of the Intel SATA3 ports.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.