SOLVED FreeNAS Temperature monitoring and FAN Control

Alpha-Inc.

Dabbler
Hello everybody,

My first FreeNAS machine was installed with 11.2 U7 and I recently updated to 11.3.

I don't know if this is a bug in my on my current version but I'm missing the HDD-temps on my dashboard. I see CPU temp, network links, pool status but no temperature for my drives. This brings me to my first question - was this removed or do i have to enable this (if yes, how?) or may this be a bug and is resolved in future versions of FreeNAS 11.3 (a reboot didn't not change the Dashboard) ?

Also, I'm using a Supermicro board with WD Red Pro Drives and Noctua Fans. They have been kinda loud lately and I haven't found a way to control the FAN speeds. I have read about some scripts but I'm not able to "read" those scripts and configure when the fans should start to spin faster in order for the system not to get too hot. I tried slowing my fans down with ipmitool but it was reversed in a millisecond by the system (the fan was slower for about 0.5 seconds but became faster again after that).
Therefore I'm looking for a (noob-friendly) way to control the FAN speeds.

Thank you all for your help

Etorix

Wizard
The best way would be to setup the PID fan control script. Please describe your hardware: motherboard model, fans, where fans are installed in the case, where fans are connected…

pschatz100

Guru
For your problem displaying disk temps, I would try clearing the cache in your browser to see if that helps. If not, then try changing the user interface theme... sometimes that makes a difference. If changing the theme helps, then you can change it back to your preferred look.

On many older Supermicro boards, there are some fan speed options in the bios. You might be able to choose a better setting for your requirement. Supermicro motherboards are not set up for low speed consumer fans, so it might take some tweaking to get things the way you want. That's why there are so many threads in the forum about scripts and other tools to help set fan speeds.

Check your manual. It is not possible to offer much advice without a detailed description of your system.