FreeNAS Stuck in Bootloop

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Very likely the issue is with the drive (or the data on it) - if you can start it up with the drive disconnected and then plug it in (if your hardware supports hotplug) then you can run a SMART test on it to determine if there's a drive hardware fault.

If it fails a SMART test you can RMA the drive - although this doesn't help your data issue. If it passes the SMART test, it's the pool structure itself (probably metadata, since it crashes on import)

ekarni

Explorer
Very likely the issue is with the drive (or the data on it) - if you can start it up with the drive disconnected and then plug it in (if your hardware supports hotplug) then you can run a SMART test on it to determine if there's a drive hardware fault.

If it fails a SMART test you can RMA the drive - although this doesn't help your data issue. If it passes the SMART test, it's the pool structure itself (probably metadata, since it crashes on import)

So how do I run this test? Is this something I run from the web GUI of FreeNAS? I can get the system to load with the drive recognized. As long as I don't try to import the pool, it works okay

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Easiest way is to open a shell and run smartctl -t long /dev/ada1 assuming ada1 is your data drive.

Wait for it to complete, and check on the results with smartctl -a /dev/ada1 - any logged errors at the bottom or a test failure is a failing/bad drive.

ekarni

Explorer
Easiest way is to open a shell and run smartctl -t long /dev/ada1 assuming ada1 is your data drive.

Wait for it to complete, and check on the results with smartctl -a /dev/ada1 - any logged errors at the bottom or a test failure is a failing/bad drive.
Knowing I'll screw this up lol!
Any way of doing it with the GUI?

ekarni

Explorer
Okay, I'll give it a shot!

I did managed to get Amazon to accept a refund, so my goal is to return it and buy 2 6TB instead.
So 2 questions if you don't mind:
1. How do I format a drive that I can't use?
2. What drives do you recommend I get? IronWolf or another Red Plus (this being a freak accident or something)?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
1. How do I format a drive that I can't use?

Easiest way to make sure it's clean would be to boot something like DBAN from a USB stick or CD/DVD and have it do a single pass of zeroes or random data.

2. What drives do you recommend I get? IronWolf or another Red Plus (this being a freak accident or something)?

Either is fine, just ensure you continue to avoid SMR which you're already aware of by choosing Red+.

AlexGG

Contributor
SMART short and long tests are performed by the drive itself, with no CPU required.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems