Freenas stuck booting

Jayzzon

Dabbler
Hello!

I've had my Freenas working fine for the last year, but one month ago I tried to access it, but I could not find it via file explorer. I did not think about it that much, but today it changed. I plugged my screen, keyboard and mouse into the NAS to find it not giving me any display. I then proceeded to restart it by holding the power on button for 10 seconds and then starting it up after half a minute. I checked that all the five drives were running and that the 16 Gb of ram ran. Booted from a USB stick (which is where FreeNAS was is installed) I was then greeted by this after autoboot did its thing, but not really knowing what it was.
78869017_448814512475786_5780542139465203712_n.jpg

I restarted the NAS once again since it was stuck. Saw it went through Freenas Autoboot, then it just stopped at this
79007640_2489398667837953_2422687981048430592_n.jpg

Restarted once again and could see the default FreeNas page where you have four options. So it starts up good but fails after the normal boot.

I don't really know if this problem started to happen after a new update of FreeNAS was installed, after a power shortage or just randomly. From what I searched up on google some had the problem with USB-Stick being in the wrong USB-socket, which mine isn't. (

From my understanding as a noob, it seems as FreeNAS cant load the installed FreeNAS software? Or something like that? Am I right?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Most likely the boot device died. Try installing the same version of the OS to a fresh boot device and see if that resolves the issue.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Most likely the boot device died. Try installing the same version of the OS to a fresh boot device and see if that resolves the issue.
I agree. The device at da0 appears to be a Samsung Flash drive, but there are a large number of errors and it is getting detached. I would remove it from the system.
From my understanding as a noob, it seems as FreeNAS can't load the installed FreeNAS software? Or something like that? Am I right?
Your data should be fine in the storage pool. Be sure to let us know what happens next.

Jayzzon

Dabbler
Yes, the Boot device is a Samsung Flash Drive. After restarting the Nas 4 times I've noticed that the first image I linked is appearing. I mean, isn't the USB working at all, since I get the FreeNAS default page with 4 options (where Autoboot takes place) it seems like its half damaged?