Freenas stop working

kinesico

Cadet
Hi, I'm new to Freenas. I installed Freenas on my server a year ago and it was working very well until 1 month ago. One day, I tried to enter the freenas configuration but I couldn't. I have plex installed on it, and when I saw some movies I went in without any problems, but I couldn't get to my freenas configuration page. That same day the power went out at my house and when I turned on the server, nothing worked anymore, neither the freenas nor plex. The network drive also disappeared, so I couldn't access the shared files from windows either.
Attached is an image of the error that the server gave me. Freenas is installed on a usb 2.0
Freenass.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't remember backing up the configuration, so I wanted to ask several things.
1: Is there any way to recover that freenas installation? or should I start from scratch?
2: In case I can't recover it, I can install Freenas on another USB stick and load the pool again without losing the data it contains (movies, books, music, games, etc.)
I hope you can help me, in advance thank you very much.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Please describe your hardware, and the version of FreeNAS, please.

kinesico

Cadet
My pc
i5 4490
8g ram
2 hard drive western digital red (4 teras each one)
SO FreeNas 11.2 installed on USB drive Sandisk 32GB USB 3.1 Ultra Fit (Its 3.1 not 2.0)
Everything's been running smoothly for a year, but now I can't access the freenas. It won't boot the operating system

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
It's not recommended to use thumb drives as boot media in 11.x, since they just don't have the flash endurance required. You'll need to reinstall to something more robust, like a M.2 SSD attached to a USB-M.2 adapter. If you didn't have a configuration backed up, you'll need to type in your config again by hand.

Your data pool is still safe, and can be imported after the reinstall.

kinesico

Cadet
It's not recommended to use thumb drives as boot media in 11.x, since they just don't have the flash endurance required. You'll need to reinstall to something more robust, like a M.2 SSD attached to a USB-M.2 adapter. If you didn't have a configuration backed up, you'll need to type in your config again by hand.

Your data pool is still safe, and can be imported after the reinstall.
thank you for your help. Just today I was able to start creating the restoration. To load the pools I went to storage and in pools I selected "import an existing pool". The disks are not encrypted (as far as I remember) and the pool I created appears. Will I lose the data on the disk when I do this?
I appreciate your help, i'm really new to all this.

Heracles

Wizard
Hey @kinesico

No, importing a pool will not alter it in any way. Still, in all cases, backups are always required. As such, once you are back in business, you should design a complete backup solution for every data that is important.