FreeNAS suddently stop working 3 times a week

Papillon

Dabbler
Hello everybody,

I have a FreeNAS server since a few month.

3 times this week, suddently the server no longer responds, neither to SMB shares, nor to NFS, nor to the WEB interface and neither to ping (my router think the server is down but the Ethernet LED is still flashing).

Strange think, once I unplugged and plugged the Ethernet cable the USB key containing FreeNAS started flashing (means read or write). After 45min, the USB key were always flashing. A savage reboot solved temporarily the problem but it is not a solution.

I can provide logs if needed.

Here is my config :
MB : Gigabyte GA-A320 M-S2H
PSU : Brand new EVGA 450W
HDD : 1*4To WD RED
System disk : Lexar 16Go USB 3.0

Thanks everybody!

If the issue was there from the start, it's likely to be hardware related. Worst case, it will be unsupported h/w. Some of the h/w gurus on the forum will be able to advise further. What version of FreeNAS are you on?

Papillon

Dabbler
I don't remember that I had this issue before this week. I was on version 11.2 when I build the server, recently (this week) I switched to 11.3 stable trains, maybe it comes from the update ? Should I wipe the USB key and install a fresh 11.2 ?

Assuming you upgraded from 11.2 and you haven't updated the ZFS feature flags in 11.3, you should be able to boot into the previous version (Look under System > Boot).

Papillon

Dabbler
Assuming you upgraded from 11.2 and you haven't updated the ZFS feature flags in 11.3, you should be able to boot into the previous version (Look under System > Boot).
Nope, I don't updated ZFS feature flags, I will boot into 11.2 but when can I use 11.3 ? I wait some month and try again ? Or directly wait a version 12 stable ?
Thank you all!

Nope, I don't updated ZFS feature flags, I will boot into 11.2 but when can I use 11.3 ? I wait some month and try again ?
That depends. When you say you were on 11.3, did you mean 11.3-U1, which fixed quite a few issues in 11.3? If you hadn't applied U1, you might like to do that and see if the issue disappears. If you were already on U1, then boot into 11.2 and see if the issue is still there. If it is, then at least you know that the issue is independent of the version of FreeNAS.

Whatever you do, don't update the feature flags until you're certain you won't be going back to 11.2.

Papillon

Dabbler
That depends. When you say you were on 11.3, did you mean 11.3-U1, which fixed quite a few issues in 11.3? If you hadn't applied U1, you might like to do that and see if the issue disappears. If you were already on U1, then boot into 11.2 and see if the issue is still there. If it is, then at least you know that the issue is independent of the version of FreeNAS.

Whatever you do, don't update the feature flags until you're certain you won't be going back to 11.2.
In Boot Environments I have 11.2 U7 (that I used a few month), 11.2 U8 (never tested because I updated to 11.3 U1 just after applied 11.2 U8 and rebooted) and 11.3 U1. So actually I'm on 11.2 U8, I will keep this version for some time until 11.3 U2 or newer versions are available.