FreeNAS Server Hardware - Memory Performance Benchmarks

Kiran Kankipati

Dabbler
Today I wrote a code to do some benchmarks to test the memory operations
mainly such as memcpy(). To check the FreeNAS hardware (cpu, memory, and overall
software optimization). vs my Linux PC hardware (which is Linux).

Of course, I haven't done Linux Kernel <> FreeNAS (i.e FreeBSD) Kernel tests.
For the sake of simplicity for now I did user-space <> user-space memory performance.

I am sharing my source code. Which is quite simple and does the job.
The code is a generic platform-independent code. Which means you can compile on any Linux/FreeBSD OS platform.
As well compile for any hardware platform as you can see below.

Code:
/* The Linux Channel
 * Code to benchmark multi-platform memcpy(): For Episode: 0x173 NAS OS | FreeNAS Server Hardware | Memory Performance | memcpy()
 * Author: Kiran Kankipati
 * Updated: 17-Oct-2018
 */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/time.h>

#define MBx10 10485760

unsigned char *buf1;
unsigned char *buf2;

void __memcpy_test(int mb)
{   struct timeval start, end;
   unsigned long long secs_used, millis_used, micros_used;
   memset(buf1, (0xaa+mb), MBx10*mb); //to avoid gcc or any compiler optimization
   gettimeofday(&start, NULL);
   memcpy(buf2, buf1, MBx10*mb);
   gettimeofday(&end, NULL);

secs_used=(end.tv_sec - start.tv_sec);
   micros_used= ((secs_used*1000000) + end.tv_usec) - (start.tv_usec);
   millis_used=micros_used/1000;
   printf("%d0MB - %llu (ms) - %llu (μs)\n\n", mb, millis_used, micros_used);
}

void main()
{  int i;
   buf1 = (unsigned char *)malloc(sizeof(char)*MBx10*100);
   buf2 = (unsigned char *)malloc(sizeof(char)*MBx10*100);

__memcpy_test(1); //10 MB
   __memcpy_test(2); //20 MB
   __memcpy_test(3); //30 MB
   __memcpy_test(4); //40 MB
   __memcpy_test(5); //50 MB
   __memcpy_test(6); //60 MB
   __memcpy_test(7); //70 MB
   __memcpy_test(8); //80 MB
   __memcpy_test(9); //90 MB
   __memcpy_test(10); //100 MB
   printf("------\n");
   __memcpy_test(30); //300 MB
   __memcpy_test(50); //500 MB
   printf("------\n");
   for(i=0;i<10;i++) { __memcpy_test(50); }

free(buf1); free(buf2);
}

To compile the same:
$ gcc -o memcpy_benchmark memcpy_benchmark.c

and you should get some benchmark results as shown below (recommend you to watch my video to interpret and further customize your tests.). This is my Intel Core i7 5820K - 4x 4GB Corsair DDR4 RAM Kit Ubuntu Desktop PC.
Code:
kiran@3TBWDBLUE:/code/thelinuxchannel/memcpy_benchmark$ ./memcpy_benchmark
10MB - 5 (ms) - 5310 (μs)

20MB - 7 (ms) - 7393 (μs)

30MB - 8 (ms) - 8448 (μs)

40MB - 9 (ms) - 9359 (μs)

50MB - 10 (ms) - 10114 (μs)

60MB - 10 (ms) - 10873 (μs)

70MB - 11 (ms) - 11834 (μs)

80MB - 13 (ms) - 13032 (μs)

90MB - 13 (ms) - 13771 (μs)

100MB - 14 (ms) - 14173 (μs)

------
300MB - 93 (ms) - 93776 (μs)

500MB - 112 (ms) - 112451 (μs)

------
500MB - 49 (ms) - 49060 (μs)

500MB - 48 (ms) - 48724 (μs)

500MB - 49 (ms) - 49048 (μs)

500MB - 48 (ms) - 48871 (μs)

500MB - 49 (ms) - 49158 (μs)

500MB - 50 (ms) - 50161 (μs)

500MB - 48 (ms) - 48836 (μs)

500MB - 49 (ms) - 49197 (μs)

500MB - 48 (ms) - 48714 (μs)

500MB - 49 (ms) - 49001 (μs)

... and the same stuff but a FreeBSD binary running on my FreeNAS physical hardware (production server).
This is an AMD RYZEN 3 1200 - 1x 8GB Corsair DDR4 RAM FreeNAS server.
Code:
kiran@TITAN-NAS /mnt/TITAN-NAS-BIG-POOL/Utilities]$ ./memcpy_benchmark_freebsd
10MB - 5 (ms) - 5739 (μs)

20MB - 8 (ms) - 8361 (μs)

30MB - 10 (ms) - 10919 (μs)

40MB - 13 (ms) - 13389 (μs)

50MB - 15 (ms) - 15839 (μs)

60MB - 18 (ms) - 18404 (μs)

70MB - 20 (ms) - 20842 (μs)

80MB - 23 (ms) - 23405 (μs)

90MB - 25 (ms) - 25866 (μs)

100MB - 28 (ms) - 28322 (μs)

------
300MB - 91 (ms) - 91293 (μs)

500MB - 135 (ms) - 135126 (μs)

------
500MB - 109 (ms) - 109486 (μs)

500MB - 109 (ms) - 109606 (μs)

500MB - 109 (ms) - 109657 (μs)

500MB - 109 (ms) - 109674 (μs)

500MB - 110 (ms) - 110070 (μs)

500MB - 109 (ms) - 109809 (μs)

500MB - 109 (ms) - 109918 (μs)

500MB - 109 (ms) - 109989 (μs)

500MB - 109 (ms) - 109801 (μs)

500MB - 109 (ms) - 109327 (μs)

[kiran@TITAN-NAS /mnt/TITAN-NAS-BIG-POOL/Utilities]$ 

So if you are a systems programmer, you can re-purpose this code and use it for other applications.
If you are a systems admin, perhaps you can try this on multiple server platforms to assess and address
bottlenecks like Filesystem performance (like ZFS in FreeNAS), File transfers, Network performance,
VPN performance, encrypted FS, encrypted ZFS pool, compressed ZFS pool, dedup, and so on.

The main intent of this code is to test the overall CPU + Memory performance and CPU<>RAM/memory performance.
Because 99% of the times many file-system/storage or networking stack does memory operations all the times. And ZFS as it loads on to memory and stays in the memory (during runtime), the performance of CPU<>Memory is quite crucial for high-performance applications and file-system tuneup. You should able to improve my code benchmarks with all kinds of tweaks such as: CPU cooling, CPU cache, CPU cache optimization vs poorly designed cpu architecture, CPU<>RAM Interconnect (i.e DDR4 vs DDR3, Intel QPI vs AMD Infinity Fabric), RAM frequency, memory DIMM hardware specs, RAM latency, Dual vs Quad Channel, all sorts of things will result in varying performance.

As usual I documented the same in depth in my Youtube video episode (The Linux Channel):

IMPORTANT TIP:

Since although you can write and run simple bash/shell scripts on a FreeNAS server. It is not possible to compile a C/C++ code. Which is when you can try this method. You can install a full-fledged FreeBSD build system. Install various build tools (a.k.a tool-chain) such as gcc/g++ compiler and you can compile your C/C++ code. Take the binaries and run on any FreeNAS system directly like this. This is how a systems software product development is done. I.e any network routers, smart-phones, embedded devices, etc.

dev1.png

and in my case to get x86 FreeBSD native binary to run on my FreeNAS physical production server, I have installed x86 FreeBSD Build server VM on my x86 Ubuntu PC hardware as shown below (refer my video for more details):
dev2.png

Last edited:

rvassar

Guru
A couple years ago I was working on a PCIe flash "stunt card" project. I wrote a custom version of /bin/cp that followed the old Solaris tradition of using mmap() to move the bits, but with O_SYNC set on the file handles. It was good for a couple device driver bugs. I might have to try that on FreeNAS one of these days.

Kiran Kankipati

Dabbler
A couple years ago I was working on a PCIe flash "stunt card" project. I wrote a custom version of /bin/cp that followed the old Solaris tradition of using mmap() to move the bits, but with O_SYNC set on the file handles. It was good for a couple device driver bugs. I might have to try that on FreeNAS one of these days.
>> cool. If not confidential, is it possible to share your source-code/scripts/steps ?
I can try on my target (FreeNAS Device) too and post the results.

rvassar

Guru
>> cool. If not confidential, is it possible to share your source-code/scripts/steps ?
I can try on my target (FreeNAS Device) too and post the results.

I'm no longer with that company, so I can't even ask. But it's really trivial... I used an example copy program in Steven's (ISBN-13: 978-0201563177) that either used mmap(), or I could trivially adapt to use mmap(), and set the O_SYNC flag on the output file handle. You're code above is actually longer.

Kiran Kankipati

Dabbler
I'm no longer with that company, so I can't even ask. But it's really trivial... I used an example copy program in Steven's (ISBN-13: 978-0201563177) that either used mmap(), or I could trivially adapt to use mmap(), and set the O_SYNC flag on the output file handle. You're code above is actually longer.
>> I see. I can understand.

Thanks a lot for the clue. I once remember having that book. Anyway I have a look. Yes mmap() makes sense. Since we are talking about memory mapped file. May be sometime if I am able to get a viable perf-test tool via mmap() will share the same :)

BTW, hope you are aware of this: http://www.brendangregg.com/linuxperf.html
Brendan Gregg :: Linux Performance site

This includes some cool images. Below I listed few. Not to worry these are just img-src.. not posting any copy-righted content here ;)
This gives a clue which tool can be used for testing which kind of performance. FS, vs. Networking, vs process vs memory, vs scheduler, etc.
Out of which so far very few I have explored. Lot more there yet to consume :)
linux_perf_tools_full_1000.jpg

linux_observability_tools.png

linux_static_tools.png

linux_benchmarking_tools.png

rvassar

Guru
BTW, hope you are aware of this: http://www.brendangregg.com/linuxperf.html
Brendan Gregg :: Linux Performance site

I spent 15+ years at Sun Microsystems, mostly working on email server performance. Oddly enough, Brendan is one of the few performance types from Sun I haven't met, I suspect in part because he joined after I transferred to Texas. I met most of the Solaris kernel types prior to the shutdown of the Sun Menlo Park campus (now Facebook's campus) around 2001.

Brendan's done a great job tying all the tools together in a easy to read format. You may also try and find earlier works by Adrian Cockcroft and Brian Wong, though those will be rather Solaris specific. I still prefer the Solaris mpstat(1) over Linux, in that it offered insight into locking activity.

Kiran Kankipati

Dabbler
I spent 15+ years at Sun Microsystems, mostly working on email server performance. Oddly enough, Brendan is one of the few performance types from Sun I haven't met, I suspect in part because he joined after I transferred to Texas. I met most of the Solaris kernel types prior to the shutdown of the Sun Menlo Park campus (now Facebook's campus) around 2001.

Brendan's done a great job tying all the tools together in a easy to read format. You may also try and find earlier works by Adrian Cockcroft and Brian Wong, though those will be rather Solaris specific. I still prefer the Solaris mpstat(1) over Linux, in that it offered insight into locking activity.
>> wow. I see. Glad to know that.

And .. glad to meet you. So you are from Sun Micro :)
I always felt like exploring Solaris. Unable to prioritize :(

How do you compare Solaris vs Linux vs FreeBSD in terms of system specs/architecture and performance ?

.. and this: is this Oracle Storage NAS ZFS is Solaris based ?
https://www.oracle.com/storage/nas/

rvassar

Guru
How do you compare Solaris vs Linux vs FreeBSD in terms of system specs/architecture and performance ?

Heh... Answering that would require me to write a book.

.. and this: is this Oracle Storage NAS ZFS is Solaris based ?
https://www.oracle.com/storage/nas/

Almost certainly, ZFS was originally a native filesystem developed on Solaris, and Oracle owns all of the intellectual property. But understand, I have no direct knowledge or experience with that unit. I haven't worked there in more than 7 years.

Kiran Kankipati

Dabbler
Heh... Answering that would require me to write a book.
>> I can understand ;)

Almost certainly, ZFS was originally a native filesystem developed on Solaris, and Oracle owns all of the intellectual property. But understand, I have no direct knowledge or experience with that unit. I haven't worked there in more than 7 years.
>> true. I feel it makes sense this runs on the same eco-system. Of course a well maintained code-base (I mean even after Oracle acquisition)

AlainD

Contributor
Hi

Is it possible to develop on a recent FreeBSD version VM and deploy the code to FreeBSD 9.2 ?

(both 64-bit off course)

Alain