FreeNAS see 8 disks like 1

C.Thomas

Cadet
Hello there,

I'm trying to make a network attached storage with FreeNAS. But, the operating system see all disk like one, never each disk.

If you have, maybe, the knowledge to explain what's going on. I give you some details :

Motherboard Model : GA-H61M-S2PV (Rev. 2.0)
Motherboard BIOS : FId 27/02/2014 H61MS2PV.Fid
Motherboard BIOS Configuration :

190624065319.png
190624065229.png
190624065244.png

The motherboard doesn't have 8 slot SATA so I use a HBA to extend slot :
1 x PCI-Express HighPoint RocketRaid 2720SGL with 2 x Cable SFF-8087, each cable extends to 4 x SATA
The HBA is flashing with non-RAID firmware provides by the manufacturer.

HDD for Storage : 8 x Western Digital WD AV-GP WD30EURS SATA Memory Cache 64 Mo Size 3 TB
SSD for Operating System : 1 x InnoDisk InnoLite II SATA 16 GB
The partition table for SSD and each disk is GPT

Operating System : FreeNAS 11.2-U4.1

I test some command :
root@freenas:~#camcontrol devlist <InnoLite II 2.5 SATA SSD 120319> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0) <HPT DISK 0_0 4.00> at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,da0)

and on WebGUI :

Screenshot_43.png

Thanks,

C.Thomas

Attachments

• 190624065319.png
    190624065319.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 325
  • 190624065319.png
    190624065319.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 370

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
1 x PCI-Express HighPoint RocketRaid 2720SGL
Your problem is going to be that...

FreeNAS doesn't have a built-in driver for that card.

You will need to get an LSI (or other supported card) instead or go through some difficult (and un-supported) steps to install and load the driver for the card you have.

If you post the output from dmesg, you will probably see that none of your disks are loaded at startup.

Although it doesn't really explain too well why you see any additional disks other than the boot pool... does your BIOS sequence offer you the possibility of going into the setup of the highpoint card? (it seems like it's set in JBOD mode)

CraigD

Patron
You don't have the correct hardware, link to hardware guide

None of your hardware is recommended, at the very least get an HBA with internal connectors , normally 8087 connectors (yes I need to mention internal connectors)

Have Fun

danb35

Hall of Famer
PCI-Express HighPoint RocketRaid 2720SGL
This is not a HBA. And despite your saying that you've put non-RAID firmware on it, it appears to have created a RAID array.

danb35

Hall of Famer
what is a HBA for you ? Because PCI-Express Card is a HBA.
A disk controller that doesn't also do RAID. A RAID controller is something different, and is in almost all cases strongly discouraged for use with FreeNAS.

In this case, from the fact that the OS sees a single disk that's pretty close to the combined capacity of all your disks, it's pretty easy to conclude that your controller has created an array (apparently a RAID 0 array) from your disks.

C.Thomas

Cadet
A disk controller that doesn't also do RAID. A RAID controller is something different, and is in almost all cases strongly discouraged for use with FreeNAS.

In this case, from the fact that the OS sees a single disk that's pretty close to the combined capacity of all your disks, it's pretty easy to conclude that your controller has created an array (apparently a RAID 0 array) from your disks.
But this isn't a RAID Controller because the firmware is a NON-RAID.
Same answer for your pretty easy conclusion.

danb35

Hall of Famer

sretalla