FREENAS Raidz2 2/3HDD fails

dankzxc

Cadet
Hi!

Is there any fix with my pool.

at first it was only degraded because one of the hdd have unreadable (pending sectors) after it finish silvering im about to replace the drive then after reboot the other drive had unreadable (pending sectors) too and now my pool state was unknown i just need to up my storage so i can back up my files in this array. here is the current alerts in my system.

Device: /dev/ada1, 2 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Device: /dev/ada1, 3 Offline uncorrectable sectors

Device: /dev/ada2, 9 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Pool StorageVault state is UNKNOWN:

Hi @dankzxc, sorry to hear you're having trouble. Could you give us more information? What is your pool setup? What hardware are you using? What FreeNAS version are you using? The output of zpool status would be a great start; so too would be the output of smartctl -a /dev/<device> for any device which shows as unavailable, offline, or degraded. Please, feel free to be as verbose as possible but clear; the more information you provide the easier it is for folks to get a sense of what is going on. Also, copy-pasting code and surrounding it in code tags as below is a great way to provide more info.

[CODE]
$ I am an command
I am an error because the line above isn't a valid command
$ I am another command
[/CODE]

dankzxc

Cadet
Thank you @PhiloEpisteme for the response.

Here is my hardware:
Case: Generic
FreeNAS Release: FreeNAS-11.2-U6
Board: Asus Prime h310m
Processor: Intel Core i5-9400 @2.90ghz
Memory: 8gb 2x4gb kingston 2400mhz ram
Storage Pool 1: Vault
1x WD blue 4tb
1x WD purple 4tb
1x Seagate Barracuda Compute 4tb
raidz1
Boot Drive: 256gb samsung evo ssd

zpool status:
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status                                                  
  pool: freenas-boot                                                            
 state: ONLINE                                                                  
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:00:02 with 0 errors on Wed Oct  9 18:45:02
config:                                                                        

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                  
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0                                
          ada0p2    ONLINE       0     0     0                                  

errors: No known data errors 

smartctl -a /dev/<device> :

Code:
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1                                                                                     
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error                                    
# 1  Short offline       Interrupted (host reset)      10%     11070         -                                                      

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1                                                                      
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS                                                                                        
    1        0        0  Not_testing                                                                                                
    2        0        0  Not_testing                                                                                                
    3        0        0  Not_testing                                                                                                
    4        0        0  Not_testing                                                                                                
    5        0        0  Not_testing                                                                                                
Selective self-test flags (0x0):                                                                                                    
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.                                                                
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error                                    
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%      9285         16656400                                              
# 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      9282         -                                                      

# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%       526         -                                                      

And what do you get when you do zpool import? Do you see your pool there for import? Also, it looks like you may have truncated the results of the SMART tests above? Could you possibly provide the full output, as well as which device you ran it on (ada1, ada3, etc)? Also, did you receive any email notifications of drives going bad etc?

dankzxc

Cadet
@PhiloEpisteme Sir I have a question my pool is a 3pcs 3tb hdd one of them is failing can I replace it with a 2tb instead of 4tb? I only have a 2tb spare in hand nad my pool is only 67% free of space

@PhiloEpisteme Sir I have a question my pool is a 3pcs 3tb hdd one of them is failing can I replace it with a 2tb instead of 4tb? I only have a 2tb spare in hand nad my pool is only 67% free of space
Nope; no can do. You gotta use a drive of the same capacity or larger.

James S

Explorer
Hi!

Is there any fix with my pool.
Hi
Things seem a little unclear here:
1x WD blue 4tb
1x WD purple 4tb
1x Seagate Barracuda Compute 4tb
my pool is a 3pcs 3tb hdd
Please slow down a bit to get your details clear.

I have also had multiple disks fail:
Multiple failing disks & error on setup

I am not an expert and so went through some good learning in the process of fixing up my mess:
- be sure about the initial disk setup. It seems you need redundancy but have not built that in.
- to setup up SMART tests and scrubs. Get the results mailed (there are some scripts on the resource page to handle this). FN is quite fussy on hardware and so you can pull disks that show errors fast. (Hopefully next time avoid losing your data)
- to burn in disks before using them (something that had completely passed me by) - again there is a script on the resource page to handle this
- get my data backup setup as a priority (I lost a VM in my disk fail episode becuase my backup was not watertight) (Maybe not so critical depending on what you are doing)

Also you might want to check suggested spec in the manual (see you memory etc.). There are lot of causal posts about "just finding a box and installing FN on it". You need to be more cautious since FN runs ZFS it is fussy on hardware -- see the recommendations for memory (particularly) and on disk management.
After several FN builds I'm greatful for the advice in the manual and on this forum about hardware.

dankzxc

Cadet
Thank you for all of your suggestions and recommendations. I finally found the solution by importing again my zpool and waiting it to resilver then after that I have the chance to back up my files but after sometime 2 disk will go offline because of numerous errors I'll just let it rest for the day and power on the machine the next day and repeat the process of importing and waiting to for it to resilver so I can continue backing up my files and start again where the copy failed or ended.