FreeNAS Perrmissions Denied HELP! FreeNAS 11.3

Jay_NAS

Cadet
I am fairly new to freenas and the nas community. i have done my fair share of reach and messing round with my nas.
i keep having this issue of my nas randomly rebooting and powering off. at first i thought it was a bois issue because im using an old desktop lenovo that i bought on ebay that said it was from an old business. i had a small issue with the bois because it had a password so i had to email the seller. after getting the password and flashing the freebsd i had my first ever server up and running. after i tacked down that is not a bois issue i am thinking its a power brick issue next but i want to find out what my error logs say. i try /var/log/messages and it keeps saying permissions denied. i have tried other users like daemon and even sshd but they all say the same. i even tried to ssh and the shell on the webgui. i also looked at the system data base and tried to change setting in there to have the error logs saved to a pool and even unchecked the option to have it saved to the var/logs but still getting the same error message. my nas is freenas 11.3 please if anyone can help with this issue.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If you just type /var/log/messages, you'll get Permission denied, because it's not an executable. What you want is more /var/log/messages to view the contents.

Jay_NAS

Cadet
I feel so dumb thank you so much for the help. Now after seeing my logs looks like I need a new power brick.