FreeNAS outgoing http requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimTeka

Dabbler
Dear Guruz,
All of a sudden one of my FreeNAS instances (1 of 3) is frequently trying to reach various destinations (observe this traffic on firewall). All on port 80. E.g. 23.108.34.219, 94.100.23.179, 64.62.249.132, etc.

How could I make it stop doing that?

c32767a

Patron
With computers, things don't typically "suddenly start" doing anything.

What changed?

Did you install a new jail module, or make some other change?

What services do you have configured? What's different about the misbehaving instance compared to the others?

TimTeka

Dabbler
I use FreeNAS only for iscsi. No plugins at all, no jails, cifs, etc.

c32767a

Patron
There are only a couple things in freenas that could possibly generate http traffic to the 'net.
There's a script that does dynamic DNS updates in services, but it's off by default.
The other is the script that checks for available jail packages, but that should only run if you go to the page that shows available jail packages.

I return to my original question, what changed, or is different between the instance that's generating the HTTP traffic and the ones that are not?

By the way, since you reference seeing this activity on the firewall, I assume you're not exposing this system to the internet directly. If it is exposed and accessible from the outside of your network, you might also want to check it and see if it's been compromised.

TimTeka

Dabbler
Sorry, i wish i could remember the moment that FreeNAS has started flooding firewall logs.
As i said earlier i use FreeNAS solely as iscsi target. BTW it would be nice to be able to slightly customize the gui (fot example to hide the Jail or Plugins menus mentioned by you)

TimTeka

Dabbler
Of course the server is in dedicated vlan, with other freenases and esxi hosts :smile:

c32767a

Patron
I'm not a developer, so I can't help with changing the GUI, if you look elsewhere on the site, there is a place to make feature requests.. That's where I'd ask that.

As to the HTTP, the only thing I could suggest at this point is to look at the actual traffic with a sniffer and see what it's trying to access, that might give you some clue as to what part of freenas is making the requests.

c32767a

Patron
Oh, and if your freenas doesn't need internet access, you could always remove the default route.

TimTeka

Dabbler
you could always remove the default route.
But I can't :smile: I need to control it somehow from my PC (which is in different vlan of course).
The IPs it's trying to access (23.108.34.219, 94.100.23.179, 64.62.249.132, etc) are all FreeNAS web sites. Maybe I've accidentally entered the Plugins page? But why on Earth is it bombing my router now? :smile:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS tries to do things in the background. In particular I know it tries to download a plugin manifest list every day. It also tries to sync its time with NTP servers. FreeNAS is designed as an appliance and because of that is not designed to let you mess around with its scripts and such.

I'd say you either block the log entries, let FreeNAS connect to the internet, or just ignore the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.