FreeNAS only sees 3 of 4 HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sondrio

Cadet
I've got a HP ML110 G7 that I've put ESXi 5 on, and was intent on using FreeNAS to manage the storage on the machine. I've got a LSI SAS2008 card flashed with IT firmware hooked up to the 4-drive backplane, and four Seagate Barracuda 3TB (ST3000DM001) drives plugged into the backplane. The LSI card is set up for passthrough in ESXi, and I've got FreeNAS 8.2.0b4 booting properly in a VM based on the instructions that ozra posted here. The problem is that FreeNAS only appears to see three of the four drives, and CAM is definitely only assigning devices to three drives. As far as I can tell, the controller card, the backplane, and all four HDDs work. If I pull one of the working drives from the backplane, I get the following on the console:
Code:
mps0: mpssas_remove_complete on target 0x0002, IOCStatus= 0x0
(da3:mps0:0:2:0): lost device
(da3:mps0:0:2:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0xa, scsi status == 0x0
(da3:mps0:0:2:0): removing device entry

The target and da device change based on which drive is pulled.

If I pull the non-working drive, I only get the following single line on the console:
Code:
mps0: mpssas_remove_complete on target 0x00ff, IOCStatus= 0x0

I've tried 8.0.4p3 and a 8.2.1 nightly from a few days ago in VMs, and get the same results. I've also tried booting the bare metal off a 8.2.0b4 USB stick, and still get the same behavior.

To verify its not the hardware, I've tried Ubuntu 12.04 and OpenIndiana 151a VMs, and both of those can fully access all four drives without problems. I even set up a RAID-Z2 pool (version 15) and a Dataset under OI, and imported it in FreeNAS, and that works except for FreeNAS not seeing the fourth drive and flagging the array as degraded.

I'm guessing the problem is either the mps driver, CAM, or both, but I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.