Freenas on Iomega ix12-300r

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas_VDB

Contributor
Hi,

Has anybody tried to use a Iomega (now Lenovo) ix12-300r with FreeNAS?
I like the hardware (12-bay hot-swappable, rackmount), but it's software is too much focussed
on cloud, while basic diagnostics or logging are not included.
- Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz CPU Processor
- 4x Gigabit NIC
- Only 2GB RAM
Review

The hardware features status LED's for each drive, to signal if a drive malfunctions. Does FreeNAS support status lights?

I dont think that CPU supports ECC RAM, and with only 2Gb that isnt enough to run FreeNAS (as is) and should be increased to 8Gb +. As far as the hardware feature for the hdd LED light...no, only the TrueNAS systems support that.

Xam

Dabbler
Sorry to dig up an old post, but the iomega ix12 i got my hands on has 2gb ram ECC...sorry to dissapoint you Darren...
Obviously i'm searching for a way to get freenas on that storage server...if anyone has any ideas that can be shared, i'll apreciate it.

Arwen

MVP
@Xam,
First thing's first, if you can't get 8GB of RAM into the box, move to a different OS.
Meaning, check out the memory slots, CPU and BIOS to determine if you can add
more DIMMS, or change the existing DIMMs for larger ones..

That said, if you want to test booting and playing with FreeNAS to make sure it sees
all the proper hardware, then sure, follow the instructions to install FreeNAS. Pay
particular attention to the disk controller. If it's a hardware RAID and not LSI / Avago,
then you may end up with lots of problems.

But don't under any circumstances think you can run with less than 8GB of memory.
And something with 12 disk bays may benefit from more RAM, depending on the
use you intend for it.

snaptec

Guru
8gb RAM is minimum. It won't work.
If you want to use that hardware have a look at other software

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.