Freenas on 2 different networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

afmiller

Contributor
I know this has probably been asked before, is it possible if I have 2 NIC cards, have different IPs on each one, so I can access my FREENAS whenever I am not home. I am looking at having a VPN set up on a different router, so it wont touch my other network, if there is any documentation or resources I can read please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Brian

c32767a

Patron
I've done it, You will just have to make sure you get your IP routes set properly, so your 2nd interface has a route that points to the IP subnet your clients are using on the inside interface of your VPN box.

pfsense is a good free way to do that, if you don't already have a solution. You can stand up a small pfsense instance in ESX and use it to terminate VPNs. Mine works great with my apple i-devices and the built-in IPSEC client.

Whattteva

Wizard
You don't need two separate NIC's just to get remote access working.

You only need to make sure that your router is aware of the VPN subnet and has a route to it in its routing table so all the VPN traffic can be routed.

OpenVPN allows you to either bridge the connection or create a separate independent subnet for the VPN. The latter is generally preferred since it is more robust. However, it does require more networking knowledge.

Regardless of which way you go though, you do not need a separate NIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.