FreeNAS not seeing drives connected to RAID CARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkyred

TrueNAS User
I am building a FreeNAS server using a 24 bay SuperMicro server with an LSI RAID card. I have raided the first two drives RAID 1 and then installed FreeNAS on that one Virtual Drive. I thought that once I had installed the FreeNAS OS I would log in the FreeNAS console and then create my storage using the other 22 drives.

The problem is that I don't see any drives listed to build a storage pool.

Any help\suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You don't use raid cards with freenas you need to flash the card into IT mode. Do a search there are thousands of threads about the topic.

snaptec

Guru
You need a HBA or a raid card flashed to it mode for freenas

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

tfast500

Explorer
FreeNAS was designed to run from flash storage don't waste your hdds and no raid controller. You need to let FreeNAS control the drives directly. Look over the documentation

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

alkyred

TrueNAS User
Thanks for the responses.

So now I have additional questions. I am going to be using this server as our NAS to handle all our companies storage needs for iscsi xenserver storage, and File storage replacing our file servers. I am going to have 2 of these servers Primary and a Live Back. I am a creature of habit so now my thoughts are to move the two drives that have the OS installed to the motherboard on-board raid controller so I have the OS Raid 1 and then use the entire 24 bays for storage. Or is it recommended to just leave the OS on a single non raided drive.

Thoughts?

snaptec

Guru
Dont use the onboard raid.
Plug the 2 drives to the onboard Controller and let FN mirror your boot devices

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Thanks for the responses.

So now I have additional questions. I am going to be using this server as our NAS to handle all our companies storage needs for iscsi xenserver storage, and File storage replacing our file servers. I am going to have 2 of these servers Primary and a Live Back. I am a creature of habit so now my thoughts are to move the two drives that have the OS installed to the motherboard on-board raid controller so I have the OS Raid 1 and then use the entire 24 bays for storage. Or is it recommended to just leave the OS on a single non raided drive.

Thoughts?
Nope.. Forget the Hardware Raid altogether. Just select the two drives during the install and FreeNAS will handle Mirroring them for you. I know its difficult to get your thoughts away from Hardware Raid (took me a while to wrap my head around it at first), but with FreeNAS you want/need to.

alkyred

TrueNAS User
Okay I think this will be my last question.

I can flash the LSI to IT mode or I can buy a new HBA card. Is there any advantage to buying an HBA vs. flashing the Raid card? Speaking to performance that is.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I can flash the LSI to IT mode or I can buy a new HBA card.
What LSI is it (Make/Model or Chipset)? Depending on the model, you may or may not be able to flash it to IT Mode.
Is there any advantage to buying an HBA vs. flashing the Raid card? Speaking to performance that is.
Not really, unless you are trying to "go big" and do a 12Gbs HBA, most of them are 6Gbs and will be just fine.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Okay I think this will be my last question.

I can flash the LSI to IT mode or I can buy a new HBA card. Is there any advantage to buying an HBA vs. flashing the Raid card? Speaking to performance that is.
I hope this isn't your last question, you have so much more to learn. Start a thread with your hardware spec and workflow. You will gets lots of advice like you should use mirrors and max out your memory. With iscsi you should try to keep your pool 50% free.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.