Freenas not booting after shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RYknow

Explorer
Hey all. I'm having an issue with my freenas machine. I recently had to shut the power off to do some electrical work in my house. I shut the freenas box down and then killed the power. With the power back on, I powered the freenas box up and walked away. Fast forward to about an hour ago, I found that my HTPC wasn't able to access my nas. Long story shot, the freenas box isn't booting.

EDIT: Not sure why my pic isn't working. The error that I'm getting is;

Code:
Mounting from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505130355 failed with error 2.

The machine specs are as follows:
Asrock 2750d4i
16gb Kingston ECC
6x Seagate 3TB drive (raidz2)
Sandisk thumb drive (forget model and capacity. Can get it if required).

More than likely the USB drive is failed.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Agree, that's most likely. Suggest that you consider a dual USB mirrored boot setup. I know, it sucks, but USB thumb drives are ... meh.

-RYknow

Explorer
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I ended up moving the thumb drive to a different USB port, and it booted right up. Any ideas why this would happen? The machine has been up and running flawlessly (including a couple shut downs) with the exact same configuration since day one (USB in the same port the entire time). Then all of a sudden this time it doesn't work. Just seems odd to me.

-RYknow

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
All signs would appear to point to a USB boot device that is dodgy.

$50 says you can move it back to the old port, and it'll boot now.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Any ideas why this would happen?

It was lonely and wanted some loving.

Seriously, PC hardware can be a little dodgy. We're not talking about stuff engineered for rock solid reliability when we talk USB devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.