FreeNAS Newbie: Large Personal Storage Rec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Completely new to FreeNAS and in need of some hardware advice. I have taken the time to review some of the guides but fear they may not directly apply to my specific situation.

Current NAS config:
Dell 1850 w/OpenFiler
PERC 6
Dell MD1000 w/15 1TB SATA drives (Raid 5)

I'm completely full at the moment and recently I've read and become concerned with bitrot. The system is quite old and I'm looking to establish a NAS I can immediately use and also expand for the next 3-5 years. It's important to point out that while I do want a lot of available storage, this is for personal use and I don't require heavy I/O, just stable error free data.

My original intent was using MD1000's with 4TB SATA drives, but it appears that PERC controllers are not recommended by the forums, therefore I would like to get suggestions on the following requirements:

A server with 24-36 Hot swap SATA bays. I would love to go with a separate server and some jbod arrays, but if a supermicro with the bays embedded is most cost effective, so be it.

My thought is 12 initial 4tb jbod drives in a Z2 array (40tb pool), with the option of adding another pool later. The faq seems to imply that z2 pools should be in 11 drive combos, is this true or is a 12 drive pool ok?

Additionally, if I have a 40 or 80 tb system, is 32 gb of ram ok? what cpu can I get away with? I'd like to minimize expenses on the enclosures and cpu and spend my money on drives (most likely Hitachi per recent posts on the backblaze blog).

Anyone with advice or suggestions?

Thanks,
David

joeschmuck

Old Man
With respect to 11 or 12 drives for a RAIDZ2, the recommendations are for Optimal throughput for the drive structure for heavy I/O. If you do not have heavy I/O then it's not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.