FreeNAS missing from Windows 10 Network page

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGB-James

Dabbler
Hi!,
Relatively new user here. When I go to place files on FreeNas, I cannot find FreeNAS on my Win10 Network page about half the time. This is common across all my home machines, in other words, if I can't see it from one machine, then it won't be visible to any of my 3 Win 10 machines. The opposite is also true, if I can see FreeNas from a Win 10 network page on one machine, then it is visible to all machines. However, even if it is not visible, my home theater PC can still access all of my files on the windows share. In fact, I am listening to music from the server right now, even though I cannot find it on the network.

I don't know if there is a causal effect, or if this is just coincidence, but sometimes turning off the Emby streaming DLNA plug-in and then restarting it will be followed by FreeNAS appearing on the Network page, but not immediately.

Help!!!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What you're seeing is normal Windows NetBIOS issues. Not much you can do about it except that you don't NEED the server to be seen in 'Network'. Just map your drives and move along.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Let's pretend your FreeNAS IP is 192.168.1.10.

Can you go to the My Computer (or whatever it's called), and at the top there, type in this:
Code:
\\192.168.1.10\{sharename}

Even if it's not showing up in the network screen on a scan, you can probably still get to it that way. If so, you should "map network drive" permanently.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
LOL, pirateghost and I said that same thing within 5 seconds of each other. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.