FreeNAS Mini with freeness-9.10 shows one serial port address 0x2f8

fd0

Dabbler
I am running FreeNAS-9.10 on an official FreeNAS mini and am trying to get the serial port to connect to a console server.

System -> Advanced shows one value for serial port address, 0x2f8
Checking the BIOS, is shows 0x3f8

How do I get FN to let me select 0x3f8 as port address. The pull-down menu is filled with just one value :-(

dmesg|grep -i uart <-- no output

any help appreciated
tnx
-- fd0

Redcoat

MVP
Do you have Console Redirection enabled on System > Advanced?

fd0

Dabbler
Do you have Console Redirection enabled on System > Advanced?
That option is not available, so that implies 'no'?

Console menu = off
Serial console = on
Serial port address = pull down (just 0x2f8)
Serial port speed = 115200

and several other unrelated options

See picture in manual

In BIOS it is not enabled either

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Oh - I believe I misled you, sorry - I was referring to Advanced in the BIOS (see section 3.3.5 in the Asrock User Manual) - it needs to be enabled there for this to work AFAIK.

Reactions: fd0

fd0

Dabbler
I was under the distinct impression to enable COM1 to get this to work en keep console redirection to disabled.
I'll change tomorrow

tnx

fd0

Dabbler
Oh - I believe I misled you, sorry - I was referring to Advanced in the BIOS (see section 3.3.5 in the Asrock User Manual) - it needs to be enabled there for this to work AFAIK.

I checked.

Console redirection was already enabled as per your suggestion.
It seems that the Out-of-band-management port is Com1 (disabled) which is nowhere to be enabled

Would that mean i need to open the box and physically check?

Code:
[fd0@nas ~]$ pciconf -l|grep uart
[fd0@nas ~]$ 

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
I checked.

Console redirection was already enabled as per your suggestion.
It seems that the Out-of-band-management port is Com1 (disabled) which is nowhere to be enabled

Would that mean i need to open the box and physically check?

Code:
[fd0@nas ~]$ pciconf -l|grep uart
[fd0@nas ~]$ 

Have you seen this page http://www.asrockrack.com/support/faq.asp?id=31 - see step 3 and on.

fd0

Dabbler
Have you seen this page http://www.asrockrack.com/support/faq.asp?id=31 - see step 3 and on.

The FreeNAS mini comes with a DB9 plug that is connected to the motherboard. I checked that.
The step 4. of the FAQ page advises:
BIOS setting: Advanced→Serial Port Console Redirection→COM1 & EMS-Console Redirection: [Enable]

my screen shows: COM1 (Disabled)

It cannot be enabled anywhere.

In:

BIOS setting: Advanced→Super IO Configuration→Serial Port 1 Configuration Serial Port [Enabled]

Same applies for SOL configuration

I am lost how to connect from a Raspberry PI to the RS232 port on the FreeNAS mini and get this to work...

Redcoat

MVP
The FreeNAS mini comes with a DB9 plug that is connected to the motherboard. I checked that.
The step 4. of the FAQ page advises:
BIOS setting: Advanced→Serial Port Console Redirection→COM1 & EMS-Console Redirection: [Enable]

my screen shows: COM1 (Disabled)

It cannot be enabled anywhere.

In:

BIOS setting: Advanced→Super IO Configuration→Serial Port 1 Configuration Serial Port [Enabled]

Same applies for SOL configuration

I am lost how to connect from a Raspberry PI to the RS232 port on the FreeNAS mini and get this to work...

Hmmmm, I just rebooted my 2750 with the Java Remote Console open and entered the UEFI setup option at the Asrock splash screen - on the page you mention I found COM1 disabled as you did, but I could Enable/Disable COM1 - I did it without thinking about it - selected the line, hit <CR> and was presented with a two-choice dialog box. SOL, the same.

I did it 3 times to prove to myself it wasn't a fluke - the last time I went in via the boot menu with F11 instead of directly through the UEFI setup screen with <DEL>. Same result.

If COM1 really doesn't work for you can you not use the "Asrock IPMI" to get to the console and meet your objectives?

fd0

Dabbler
Hmmmm, I just rebooted my 2750 with the Java Remote Console open and entered the UEFI setup option at the Asrock splash screen - on the page you mention I found COM1 disabled as you did, but I could Enable/Disable COM1 - I did it without thinking about it - selected the line, hit <CR> and was presented with a two-choice dialog box. SOL, the same.

I did it 3 times to prove to myself it wasn't a fluke - the last time I went in via the boot menu with F11 instead of directly through the UEFI setup screen with <DEL>. Same result.

If COM1 really doesn't work for you can you not use the "Asrock IPMI" to get to the console and meet your objectives?

Up till now, I enter BIOS via F2, I'll try F11 tomorrow

fd0

Dabbler
See my post here about my second system with same motherboard without any issues

Redcoat

MVP
See my post here about my second system with same motherboard without any issues

Well that's a piece of information you could have shared earlier...

Same BIOS version? Have you put them "side-by-side" and looked at every bios option to establish that the configuration is the same?

Maybe you should reflash the bios on the board with the issue.

John N.

fd0

Dabbler
Well that's a piece of information you could have shared earlier...

Same BIOS version? Have you put them "side-by-side" and looked at every bios option to establish that the configuration is the same?

Maybe you should reflash the bios on the board with the issue.

John N.

I found out this morning the boards are the same.

Motherboards are same, BIOS s/w and versions are the same.
Some BIOS differences due to bootdevices and storage differences between the two systems, but that is to be expected.
Both systems show same values in the menu Advanced→Super IO Configuration
In the menu Advanced→Serial Port Console Redirection→COM1 & EMS-Console Redirection as per FAQ option 4 and 5 there is a difference between both systems, as to be expected, given the symptoms I experience.
The FreeNAS Mini shows COM1 (Disabled) on this menu page and can not be enabled anywhere. The "working" machines shows COM1 as expected, since things are working.
Another difference is with the running system, FreeNAS vs. FreeBSD-11.2-Release

Redcoat

MVP
Another difference is with the running system, FreeNAS vs. FreeBSD-11.2-Release
Well, it can't be that, can it?

This certainly is a puzzler - if the bios is the same, I wonder if there's something about the boards at component level that is causing the different behavior - bios inability to detect the serial port h/w.

I'm intrigued by this since I own one. Google-fu didn't turn anything useful up for me - lots of threads asking the "how do I ..?" but none with your issue. I wish you luck on this one - I'll keep peering over your shoulder if you report more.

fd0

Dabbler
Well, it can't be that, can it?

This certainly is a puzzler - if the bios is the same, I wonder if there's something about the boards at component level that is causing the different behavior - bios inability to detect the serial port h/w.

I'm intrigued by this since I own one. Google-fu didn't turn anything useful up for me - lots of threads asking the "how do I ..?" but none with your issue. I wish you luck on this one - I'll keep peering over your shoulder if you report more.

Tbh I think it süx a bit not to be able to find the cause.
I will raise an issue/bugreport with iXsystems, since i purchased it there

Will keep this thread informed :cool:

fd0

Dabbler
I raised a bug with iXsystems.
This has been accepted. There are issues with certain FreeNAS mini boards and iXsystems has extended their warranty.
My machine falls in this category and is eligible for an RMA, which is being handled right now