Freenas Learning build

Nimbu

Cadet
Hey Guys,

I posed a little while back, but I never got around to putting this test rig together. However I have found some time this weekend so wanted to just double check. Intended use: I'm no stranger to NAS, both homebrew and off the shelf, but I wanted to learn about freenas. If this system does make it into production its likely to be an onsite backup for a small subset of my data that lives on my Synology DS1815+

Hardware:
HP Microserver G8
i5 (cant remember the exact model)
8GB ECC

Drives / Array:
Given that this is a test system, I am going to be using 4 x 2TB hard drives. I do plan on playing with the different raid types. Though I have one burning question, my synology is my current nas, set in shr2, which also backs up a small subset of data to the cloud. Eventually I want an onsite backup of this data set. Whilst I intend to try out the different raid levels. Would I be crazy to consider RAIDZ3 for a 4 drive array? The data is very static and small (15GB total). The reason I am considering RAIDZ3 is that this gives me the ability for any three drives to fail before data loss.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

tfran1990

Patron
RAIDZ3 on 4x2TB will give you only ~2TB of storage space.
Go with raidz2,the discs are small, the fact that each disc is only 2Tb means less of a chance for a drive to fail during re silver.
If it were 4+ 10TB, maybe because there is a beter chance for an error during a resilver.

Snow

Patron
RAIDZ3 on 4x2TB will give you only ~2TB of storage space.
Go with raidz2,the discs are small, the fact that each disc is only 2Tb means less of a chance for a drive to fail during re silver.
If it were 4+ 10TB, maybe because there is a beter chance for an error during a resilver.

Like what Tfran said Raidz2 Unless this data is a must have and can not be lost then Raidz3.
Raidz2 is a middle ground of both worlds as Raid5/Raidz1 is being Phased out with larger capacity drives. (Look up why raid5 is Dead/bad)
Raidz3 is going to offer the most protection, and with the smaller sized drives you are using In my eyes Raidz3 seems not to be needed.