Freenas keep rebooting its self Please help!!!!

DeSiMoN

Cadet
My system was working fine with out any issue. But now every time I turn it on after few min its keep rebooting with this error msg. Please see the picture in the attachment?
20190510_013347.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mer

Cadet
I can't offer much help than some general debugging ideas, but they may help you narrow down the problem.

Did you change anything recently, like add more memory, upgrade software, anything at all?
The important line is the one saying "UNCOR PCC internal parity error". That is typically a hardware failure of some kind. In theory it could also be a firmware thing (which is why I asked about upgrade software).

If you did change hardware in any manner, try undoing that change. If you added memory, take out what you just added. If you changed BIOS settings (especially related to performance/memory timing/power), reset to default.

As more knowledgable folks wake up and see this, they are probably going to ask for more specifics about the hardware, especially the motherboard type, memory, etc.

DeSiMoN

Cadet
Thanks for replaying Mer. To be honest since I build this system I had nothing but problem. First my freenas would crash once a day. My SMB share..GUI Notning would work unless I restart 2 times. That was on 11.2 U2 then I upgraded to 11.2 U3 with a fresh new USB drive. system ran for about 5 days with out any issue. Until I get this error and since then it would reboot its self every 15 min or so. Now I thought may be it's the USB so I got a small Intel optein 32gb NVme ssd to fresh install 11.2 U4 and imported my volume and config file. But still same problem. I am taking evething a part because it's really frustrating.

My system
Xeon E5 V4 2697
Asrock x99 formula 3.1
128GB Non ECC memory
8x10 WD Red
Intel optein 900p 480gb pci l2arc
Samsung evo 970 1TB m.2 l2arc
Mellonex X3
Intel X520-DA2

I am going to reset the CPU and clean up the system to see anything help. I might have a feeling its may be the CPU but before I order another one I want to make sure.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Any sort of overclocking or similar pushing the capabilities of the hardware can lead to unexpected results. If the overclock were to increase thermal issues then various things may fail or auto-disable or throw inconsistent errors. I have had troubles with my motherboard bios reverting to an overclock/optimizing config until (as far as I know) such a capability was finally disabled in my bios. During that time I was struggling to get a clean and consistent boot and this caused me to do a LOT of trial and error in the build/config of FreeBSD on my box.

It is also entirely possible that any cable or chip may have become less optimally seated/connected. Another problem I've had was a VERY slightly mis-connected HDMI cable, so i know in some situations it doesn't take much of a misalignment to cause a difficult to trace headache.

I would also look over the motherboard manual to be certain that nothing is accidentally/unintentionally installed wrong. Verify clearances between any installed components such as any addon fan or any other thing which could cause an electrical connection that is not intended.

I wish you success in solving this, esoteric error messages are always a pain.

Stevie_1der

Explorer
Did you run a burn in test on your hardware?
If not, run Memtest86(+) for some days to check the RAM, there must not be any error reported.
Also run some CPU stress test tool like mersenne prime for some hours/days.

All necessary tools are available on the Ultimate Boot CD for example, I always use that when I build a new system.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thanks for replaying Mer. To be honest since I build this system I had nothing but problem. First my freenas would crash once a day. My SMB share..GUI Notning would work unless I restart 2 times. That was on 11.2 U2 then I upgraded to 11.2 U3 with a fresh new USB drive. system ran for about 5 days with out any issue. Until I get this error and since then it would reboot its self every 15 min or so. Now I thought may be it's the USB so I got a small Intel optein 32gb NVme ssd to fresh install 11.2 U4 and imported my volume and config file. But still same problem. I am taking evething a part because it's really frustrating.

My system
Xeon E5 V4 2697
Asrock x99 formula 3.1
128GB Non ECC memory
8x10 WD Red
Intel optein 900p 480gb pci l2arc
Samsung evo 970 1TB m.2 l2arc
Mellonex X3
Intel X520-DA2

I am going to reset the CPU and clean up the system to see anything help. I might have a feeling its may be the CPU but before I order another one I want to make sure.
The panic message indicates a hardware error, so you may be on the right track with your suspicions about the CPU.

Snow

Patron
Yeah That looks like a bad Socket on the CPU or Motherboard IMO. Do you have a spare board and cpu you can load your config and see if u get the same error?

DeSiMoN

Cadet
Alright guys, I think I found the solution to my problem. so after replacing 850W PSU to 12000W PSU the problem didnt fix. I also changed the cpu cooler from Noctua NH U14S TO NH D15S still no help. swapped the memory into different slot then it was previously still no help. So finally I disable any overclocking CPU configuration on BIOS . few of them was set as auto and I had to disable them. Once did system up and running last 8 hours with out any problem. I hope its fixes the issue for me. Really appreciated all your help. thank you :)

Stevie_1der

Explorer
Glad to hear you fixed it! :)

To be sure, run Memtest86(+) and some Prime testing for a couple days, the system must be rock stable.

Snow

Patron
I wanted to enable turbo boost on my 2.0 Ghz Cpus it is stated they can go up to 2.4 with out a problem. Using the C power states in the bios, all I have to say is freenas 11.0 and on does not like it and becomes very unstable when I set the C-power states in C2 C3 states. Not sure why this is as it really not even over clocking, I spent about 2 weeks try to figure this out with out a resolution. The only resolution I know that will work is buying Faster Cpu's. Plan on getting 3Ghz + Cpus.