FreeNas installer freezes

Hello guys,
I am very new to free nas, and to start things up I build a ryzen 7 system so I can start learning.
Unfortunately I can boot to the usb but it freezes on the very first installer page. The keyboard numpad light is blinking. Anyone knows what it can be? I tried messing around with some bios options, like legacy, ahci handoff on usb and so on but nothing. It boots the installer then immediately freezes.
Also tried selecting old kernel but it say's "unable to find resoure".
In the bios, I am booting via UEFI ( on usb as well), AHCI turned on, tried changing the boot order. Nothing
Below my system specs:
Ryzen 7 1700x, gigabyte ax370 gaming 5, MSI RX 570, Sandisk ssdplus 480 gb and a Seagate Ironwolf NAS 2 tb.
Ram is running at 2666 xmp, cpu stock. Booted in windows prior to this with zero issues. The hardware seems ok.

I also tried on my main windows machine with the following specs with absolutely the same issue:
- i7-8700k, gtx 1080 ti ftw3, gigabyte z390 aorus master, 970 evo, a nvme 970 evo and a some hdd and sata ssds.

I connected to the display via DP, to a zb271hu ( 165 hz, ips, 1440p with gsync). Maybe this is the issue? Tried with no display out but the issue is the same.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

ThreeDee

Guru
don't boot via UEFI ..try Legacy boot mode (I don't know if that is what you are referring to when you stated legacy above)
..and hardware is far from recommended hardware for FreeNAS.

pschatz100

Guru
Are you using the Sandisk SSD as a boot device? Be aware that you cannot use the boot device for data, so virtually all of its capacity will not be used.

How much memory do you have in your system? As your motherboard is a gaming board, I would disable the sound card (FreeNAS doesn't use it), all acceleration and overclocking features, and all advanced usb3 features.

Did you create the boot device for UEFI boot or for BIOS boot (sometimes called LEGACY boot)? Your boot settings in the motherboard bios have to match the way the boot device was created.

G8One2

Patron

Hello guy's.
First of all thanks for your replies.
I had more time to look into this so this is what I tried:
-boot legacy mode
-disable integrated sound cards, all of them, including the USB dac feature (whatever this is )
-no xmp, 2133 mhz ram all stock
-no cpu overclock of any kind, all stock except for the voltage on the CPU. I am not comfortable with my mobo pushing 1.5v on auto settings on the CPU at all.
-the 1700x has an integrated TPM: I disabled it.
-fast boot and secure boot
-run out of ideas.

I know I'm very far from recomended hardware, but since I had a ryzen system lying around I tought I might Give it a try. I do need some form of NAS storage, tough, and I wanted to see what freeNAS has to offer before committing fully to it.

I did try with UNRAID, and it booted just fine. What do you guys's think? What am I doing wrong? Anything else I can try?

Maybe I can try running it inside a VM, just to mess with it? I was thinking of installing windows on it and try to have freeNAS running in a VM.

I forgot to mention that :
-the Sandisk SSD is purely for cache. .Is a 480 gb unit. freeNAS is running of a USB 3.0 16gb flash drive.
- 16 gb or RAM, 8x2 in dual channel mode now running at 2133 mhz all stock settings.
Are you using the Sandisk SSD as a boot device? Be aware that you cannot use the boot device for data, so virtually all of its capacity will not be used.

How much memory do you have in your system? As your motherboard is a gaming board, I would disable the sound card (FreeNAS doesn't use it), all acceleration and overclocking features, and all advanced usb3 features.

Did you create the boot device for UEFI boot or for BIOS boot (sometimes called LEGACY boot)? Your boot settings in the motherboard bios have to match the way the boot device was created.
UEFI. I tried it this way, it boots all the way to the console setup when it freezes.
I also disable every possible "accelaration" feature I could find. Same issue

pschatz100

Guru
I'm not certain what you mean by "it boots all the way to the console setup when it freezes." Are you saying that you get all the way to the Console Setup Menu with no error messages? Does the system assign an IP address? If yes, can you ping it?

G8One2

Patron
Your hardware, really isn't compatible with freenas. Even if you get it to work, it will be buggy and problematic. Been there, done that. I too am guilty of attempting to repurpose desktop hardware. It didn't end well for me, lost all my data more than a couple times before I got serious and bought server grade hardware.

I'm not certain what you mean by "it boots all the way to the console setup when it freezes." Are you saying that you get all the way to the Console Setup Menu with no error messages? Does the system assign an IP address? If yes, can you ping it?
Yeah, it boots all the way to the first setup screen. The one where you can ( 1- install/upgrade 2 -shell - 3 Reboot 4- shutdown)
And no, it does not appear to: even if it's connected I cannot see it on the network.

Your hardware, really isn't compatible with freenas. Even if you get it to work, it will be buggy and problematic. Been there, done that. I too am guilty of attempting to repurpose desktop hardware. It didn't end well for me, lost all my data more than a couple times before I got serious and bought server grade hardware.
Maybe I should just leave it and try some server grade hardware, yeah. I'll see what I can do in a Vm then I guess I'll have to find some other use for that ryzen machine :) Any recomended hw for someone like me, who is just starting?

G8One2

Patron