FreeNAS Home-built Build Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haziz

Cadet
What do you suggest for a home-built NAS solution. I do not need hot-swappable drives and will likely build using a standard mid-tower case. Will be using FreeNAS 8 with a RAIDz2 setup.

What motherboard do you suggest? It has to be able to handle 6 HD with SATAIII 6Gb/s plus a seventh slower drive for the OS. I can theoretically boot the OS via a USB stick but may prefer to boot off of a seventh slow drive. I will not have any optical drives in this build.

CPU? I was thinking an AMD FX 6100 or 4 core FX chip or an older phenom II. I am also OK with Intel. Any suggestions?

Case that can accommodate seven 3.5 HD disks?

Cheap old graphics card or builtin graphics? Most AM3+ boards do not have built-in graphics though. With the graphics in some ways the older the better. FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD 8 which is pretty old and will not be able to deal with a recent graphics chips (though it can handle them as VESA). It will be headless most of the time anyway.

I see a lot of people recommending ECC memory, how essential is that?

Solid but boring PSU?

I have already an AMD FX8350 and an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX with 32 gigs of RAM that I intended as a main machine but that seems like overkill for a headless NAS?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.