FreeNAS Hangs/Crashes Under Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjones371

Cadet
Hi All,

I've had a problem with FreeNAS in that when it's being given some work (I'm saving a Windows Server Backup to it over CIFS) it hangs, stops serving the CIFS share, and eventually reboots itself. When this occurs, there's a ton of console messages logged one after the other saying

CAM status: Command timeout
g_vfs_done (): da0...write... error=5
Error 5, retries exhausted
(Sorry they're not the most accurate representations, I'm writing them from memory)

da0 is the USB drive I have FreeNAS installed to, so I've tried a different pen drive to see if that helped but it didn't make a difference. Both pen drives are 2GB.

Hardware is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 RAM, and a 2TB Seagate Barracuda drive being used for storage.

I've just reinstalled FreeNAS using the 9.3 Beta to see if that makes any difference, which it seems to have so far as I've copied almost 10GB without issue, whereas previously it would struggle to get beyond 3GB before failing.

Is this a common or known issue?

Thanks,
B

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hardware is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 RAM, and a 2TB Seagate Barracuda drive being used for storage.

There's your problem.

Seriously, what did you expect when running with half the minimum amount of RAM?

bjones371

Cadet
OK. Well the download page states that 8GB was only required for better performance, and that 4GB is the minimum. Since I'm only using it to take ad-hoc backups once a week I figured I could have got by with the 4GB.

It ran for about 27GB on 9.3 before doing the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.