Freenas Config Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbanaco

Cadet
Good evening everyone,

I need some help creating a Freenas System.

What do you advise?

I am thinking of this configuration:

Asus P8H77-I
INTEL CORE i3 3220
8GB DD3
WD RED 2TB (3x)

The goal is to create a RAID-Z system and share all over my house. Stream movie and store data is a must! If possible make a cloud for remote access to.

Thank you!

Stephens

Patron
If you're sure all you need is 4TB usable, your setup looks fine. If you think you're going to need more space soon, go ahead and build it now... expansion isn't without it's issues and it'll never be as clean as if you build it right from the beginning. Also consider (strongly) getting a supported UPS for the FreeNAS server.

rbanaco

Cadet
If you're sure all you need is 4TB usable, your setup looks fine. If you think you're going to need more space soon, go ahead and build it now... expansion isn't without it's issues and it'll never be as clean as if you build it right from the beginning. Also consider (strongly) getting a supported UPS for the FreeNAS server.

Thank you for the reply! The ups is a great advise i will consider it... About the issues on this motherboard nic, is it supported now? Good performance?

Stephens

Patron
Supported in 8.3, yes. Good performance? That's subjective, but IMO... yes. Not as good as a dedicated Intel gigabit NIC, though. You can read/search around here for "Realtek" if you want to do more reading and make up your own mind on performance, but if >50MB/s is fine, go for it. personally, even with my E350 CPU, I consistently do over 50MB/s and often see around 75MB/s (using CIFS). Using FTP, I can approach line speed. And the E350 is a slow CPU (slower than yours).

rbanaco

Cadet
Supported in 8.3, yes. Good performance? That's subjective, but IMO... yes. Not as good as a dedicated Intel gigabit NIC, though. You can read/search around here for "Realtek" if you want to do more reading and make up your own mind on performance, but if >50MB/s is fine, go for it. personally, even with my E350 CPU, I consistently do over 50MB/s and often see around 75MB/s (using CIFS). Using FTP, I can approach line speed. And the E350 is a slow CPU (slower than yours).

Thank you very much for the information Stephens! For now i will buy just this essentials and build the NAS with that. Then I will se if I need another NIC or not.

In your opinion makes much difference to buy one memory of 8gb or two of 4gb? in terms of performance? the velocity of them is important for a NAS? thank you!

Stephens

Patron
I'd get either 2x4GB=8GB or 2x8GB=16GB depending on current and future needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.