Freenas Build Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narfski

Cadet
Hi there,

I'm currently in the planning phase of building a separate box that will have Freenas 8.* on it and I was just wondering if anyone that had already had experience with playing around with it could comment on the following setup or just answer some questions I have.

Already have the following hardware available for the box:

CPU: Intel i3-2100 (3.10 Ghz w/ 3MB Cache)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
RAM: 4GB (2 x 2GB of DDR3 1333 - will probably get another pair)
Network card: Intel CT 10/100/1000 (PCI-E) (x2 if needed to pair for more throughput, etc.)
HD's: 4 x 500GB SATA-II drives, all matched with same firmware, etc....

I'm planning to increase the storage but for now that will do. More or less just wanting a main location for storage within the network. I've also got a jumbo frames enabled / supported switch. Replacing my old storage box that was just a Win XP system with an old 3ware PCI RAID (SATA-I) controller card.

Looking to setup everything with RAID-5 (will get a new hardware SATA RAID controller) as I don't know the limitations with the on-board RAID / SATA controller on this motherboard. Would be nice if I could hit a read and write rate over the network to this box of around 100 MB/sec (no idea if this is in reach or not with SMB / CIFS)

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long-winded post

Narfski

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi there,

I'm currently in the planning phase of building a separate box that will have Freenas 8.* on it and I was just wondering if anyone that had already had experience with playing around with it could comment on the following setup or just answer some questions I have.

Already have the following hardware available for the box:

CPU: Intel i3-2100 (3.10 Ghz w/ 3MB Cache)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
RAM: 4GB (2 x 2GB of DDR3 1333 - will probably get another pair)
Network card: Intel CT 10/100/1000 (PCI-E) (x2 if needed to pair for more throughput, etc.)
HD's: 4 x 500GB SATA-II drives, all matched with same firmware, etc....

I'm planning to increase the storage but for now that will do. More or less just wanting a main location for storage within the network. I've also got a jumbo frames enabled / supported switch. Replacing my old storage box that was just a Win XP system with an old 3ware PCI RAID (SATA-I) controller card.

Looking to setup everything with RAID-5 (will get a new hardware SATA RAID controller) as I don't know the limitations with the on-board RAID / SATA controller on this motherboard. Would be nice if I could hit a read and write rate over the network to this box of around 100 MB/sec (no idea if this is in reach or not with SMB / CIFS)

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long-winded post

Narfski

You should hit near Gigabit speeds with that processor using NFS. I don't have much experience with SAMBA but I don't see anything in your hardware that would limit you. you probably don't need jumbo frames either

Status
Not open for further replies.