FreeNAS box does not bring up GigE connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

VulcanRidr

Explorer
I have a fully patched FreeNAS 9.3 box on a SuperMicro X10SLM-F (with 1x Intel® i217LM & 1x Intel® i210AT) and a Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz. Prior to this, I had a FreeNAS box with a Biostar Mini ITX DDR3 1066 NA Motherboards NM70I-1037U with Realtek RTL8111F Gigabit NICs.

The nics look like the following, where em0 is currently connected to a 10/100 port:

Code:
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
  options=4019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO>
  ether 0c:c4:7a:40:be:11
  inet 192.168.224.20 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.224.255
  nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
  media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
igb0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
  options=403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO>
  ether 0c:c4:7a:40:be:10
  nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
  media: Ethernet autoselect

The problem I am encountering is that my switch is a Foundry FastIron (pic at http://www.tux.org/~storm/images/network/foundry_fastiron2.jpg) , running firmware verstion Version 08.0.01yT51 and boot image 07.06.05. It has a 1GB fiber blade, 2 10/100 blades and a 1GB copper blade installed. When I plug the FreeNAS box into a Gig copper port of the switch, the NAS does not get a link light, and the link light on the switch will flashes on and off at about 1-2 second intervals. Note that when connected to a 10/100 port, the network card behaves as expected

Currently, Gig copper ports 2, 3, 4, and 5 are connected to Linux boxes, and according to iperf, all are running at Gig speeds. however, I am unable to get FreeNAS/FreeBSD to connect via Gig interface. I tried pulling a known working cable and port from one of the Linux boxes and plugging into the FreeNAS, and got the same indications. When I tried plugging the FreeNAS box into a cheap Netgear GS108 switch that I borrowed from work to test, and it got link immediately. Unfortunately, the switch resets constantly, but it was enough for me to see that it was getting link.

I have upgraded the firmware on the Foundry from Version 07.5.04T51 (ancient) to Version 08.0.01yT51, and am still seeing the same indications. I have also tried the port in automegotiation as well as 1000 Master. Is there something that I need to tweak in the FreeNAS config to enable GigE on the NAS?

Thanks,
--vr

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It sounds like the 1Gb link is just not stable. Maybe try a different network cable?

Nothing is required to get gigE to work. It should be a plug-and-play situation.

VulcanRidr

Explorer
It sounds like the 1Gb link is just not stable. Maybe try a different network cable?

Nothing is required to get gigE to work. It should be a plug-and-play situation.

Thanks Cyberjock. I've tried 3 or 4 different cables, including one (and the port) that was running a Linux box at Gig. I thought it might be a case where it couldn't negotiate gig with the switch, but I have upgraded to the latest firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.