SOLVED FreeNAS-Boot at 94%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantp

Contributor
Could someone please tell me how to see what is on my freenas-boot drive. I received the following 'Critical Warning Msg' about 10 mins ago.
Screenshot-3.png

My box was sat doing nothing that I was aware of. I had a look in Reporting - Disk and found 10 mins of 75MB's of writing to the disk see screenshot
Screenshot-2.png

I'd like to know what has suddenly taken the space. As you can see from the next screenshot I haven't a lot old system boot file around.
Screenshot-4.png

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Grant

Grantp

Contributor
This is the output from du -sh /*

root@freenas:/ # du -sh /*
776K /bin
62M /boot
5.0K /compat
13M /conf
4.0K /COPYRIGHT
48M /data
5.0K /dev
4.5K /entropy
2.2M /etc
6.0M /lib
110K /libexec
1.5K /media

The weird thing is the command doesn't complete, by that I mean it doesn't go back to the command prompt, the above output is exactly as it shows on the terminal. I have to Ctrl/C to get back to Command Prompt.

styno

Patron
You can try to compare df and mount to figure out where it hangs.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Also worth trying: du -shx /*

-x File system mount points are not traversed.

Without the -x option, du should of course get back to the command prompt after scanning all mounted file systems (which is problably not what you wanted it to do).

danb35

Hall of Famer
The weird thing is the command doesn't complete, by that I mean it doesn't go back to the command prompt,
...which is because it's still running, trying to calculate everything under /mnt (which includes all your data). The option @MrToddsFriends mentions should avoid this behavior. My guess would be you have something in /root.

siconic

Explorer
I am having a similar issue with my disk being full. This morning, after I applied the newest update, I also had 3 boot version, and had gotten the same amount of used disk space as you. After deleting 11.0-U2, I am now down to 39GiB, but like I posted earlier, This seems very high!
upload_2017-9-28_9-43-16.png

Are you also having really long reboot times?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
You can try what @MrToddsFriends suggested, just two posts above you. FreeNAS itself didn't put that data on your boot device, you did--now you need to find where you put it, so you can remove it.

siconic

Explorer
You can try what @MrToddsFriends suggested, just two posts above you. FreeNAS itself didn't put that data on your boot device, you did--now you need to find where you put it, so you can remove it.

Thanks! I guess I was being absent minded. I did find 19GiB in something called z...
upload_2017-9-28_10-0-47.png

I did not put it there, at least not with any express knowledge. I am a little hesitant to delete it, not sure of its function. Think its safe?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Think its safe?
Probably--it wouldn't be something the system's using. file z should give some information about what it is.

siconic

Explorer
Probably--it wouldn't be something the system's using. file z should give some information about what it is.

z: POSIX tar archive

When I untar it, looks like its backups from my jail configs??? So weird, because even all the Cron jobs I have running, dont have the name "z".

I guess I am going to delete it and see what happens. Not a system file, so at least that will be fine.

Is 20GiB for two version of a boot about normal, or do you think there is there more data hiding somewhere?

Grantp

Contributor
Hi All,
Thanks for help. As dand35 I guessed it was something I'd created by mistake but wasn't sure how to find it. (Still very much a NOOB). Any way when I got home I found a directory that had been created by a rsync job. I deleted that and root disk back to 6% usage.
I will get to understand what I'm doing one day (Maybe ???)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Status
Not open for further replies.