FreeNAS backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
I don't currently have a backup solution for my FreeNAS server. I've been looking into building another box, but my budget won't currently allow for it. As a less expensive means of making a backup I thought to use 2x4TB HDD in a RAID0 enclosure and backup to this using eSATA. I understand this is doable, but in some old threads I found in a search there was mention of it not working well with the GUI. I more or less just want to know if this has changed or whether FreeNAS is going to be crabby with me.

I will likely do this either way as I need to have a backup solution. Just curious as to whether anyone has experience with this type of setup using the latest build.

Added note: I realize a RAID0 setup isn't the most reliable in and of itself, but I can live with the unlikely chance that my array and my backup fail at the same time.

have you considered the cloud at all? Such as crashplan, i use crashplan pro and have roughly 27Tb backed up to them for 10$ a month.... lol

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Do you need to backup everything, or could you manage with 4TB (minus the overhead). If so, you could put those 4TB drives in a ZFS mirror instead of a stripe, which would be much more reliable.

As for eSATA, I've had no issues with it using a drive dock, but I haven't tried an enclosure. Probably not ideal for a production pool but it seems like a viable option for onsite backup.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
Its a home server that's mainly used for serving media so not exactly a production environment. I've managed to cobble together some cheap pieces off eBay along with some left over parts to make a second FreeNAS box. Didn't think I could do it but manage it after all, so should be a little more reliable than the raid backup solution. Thanks for the input though.

mjt5282

Contributor
I have built an identical server to my primary server that i use for backup - eventually it will be stored offsite and will rsync on a daily basis. Prior to that, I have used (and still use) WD My Book Live's / My Cloud - they are basically mini-NAS with ethernet connections, the duo can scale up to a spanned 12Tb (2x6Tb Red drives). I use custom rsync bash / cron scripts to wake up in the middle of the night and sync the newer/ changed files over to the linux boxes. The problem is that they changed the version of linux from MBL to My Cloud and you have to create a cron job from an alternate (non-root) account on the My Cloud, otherwise the cron jobs get over-written.

I can share the bash scripts with you if you are interested. It is a cost-effective solution that scales up to 12Tb per WD My Cloud. It also sleeps and wakes up fine.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
I may not make immediate use of them but if you didn't mind sharing your scripts I can definitely make use of em in the future. Just need to wait until I can afford a couple 4 or 6TB drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.