FreeNAS Backup server ( Hosting services )

Status
Not open for further replies.

firas

Cadet
Hello,

Well, i'm looking to build a strong and good long-services backup server, with secure OS ( FreeBSD 11.0 ) and stable FreeNAS OS 9.3 Version...Hence here is my plan to provide a hosting backup services , ex: bqbackup.com

I have ask my DC provider to install the FreeNAS OS 9.3 on my FreeBSD 11.0 latest build, on the following OS Hardware:

Chassis: Supermicro
Mainboard: X8STi-F
Processor: 1x E5506
Memory: 4x 2GB DDR3 1333
Harddisk(s): 6x 2TB WD Enterprise
RAID-controller: 9260-8i

First this is a small project, once i found it works well i will upgraded to a good a new hardware specs, i know it's old and maybe cheap Supermicro box, but it's a starter... and looking for your recommendation on how-to make a plan for my users using FreeNAS control panel, using bash-script or there is a features to make this done ?

Also i'm looking to build my WHMCS software ( billing system ) integrated with FreeNAS API system, like building a new module for WHMCS to create the users accounts as per WHMCS specs for the user.. ex:

5gb, 10 gb, 20 gb, 50gb, 100gb

Also i'm welling to make a complete backup of FreeNAS server to be transferred remotely to another backup server ( FreeBSD system ) for urgent issues or HD issues .. as i'm using RAID controller.. if you have any recommendation regard a complete backup of the FreeNAS also i would apprecaite it, as i have a good old box of FreeBSD backup server ( using rsync + FTP + ssh only )... so i prefer to make it ready for FreeNAS backup only.

Any suggestion for backup services control Panel i would appreciate it, but after many search and googling i found FreeNAS is the top on backup OS.

tvsjr

Guru
A few suggestions:
FreeNAS 9.3 is more than 2 years old. 11.0-U1 is current. Start there.
Your system is minimally capable. 8GB RAM is the minimum necessary, and that's just to run FreeNAS. If you're planning to run jails/etc, you'll need more.
I'm not sure what "using RAID controller" is, but FreeNAS expects direct access to the drives. You want to use a supported HBA, flashed to IT mode, so there's no "RAID" involved.

Finally... you're apparently trying to do this for profit. Showing up on a forum as your first post, asking people who don't get paid to help you build a service that you're going to sell (and then trying to do it with hardware that's old bordering on outdated) isn't going to go over too well. If you're building a business around this stuff, you should either a. call IXSystems for a quote on a proper enterprise solution or at least b. understand this stuff inside and out. The forums are a wealth of knowledge. Start with some reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.