FreeNAS auto mounting Zpool on 9.2.1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoozyman99

Cadet
Hi, I'm Anthony, new to the forum. :)

I have an encrypted pool on my freenas, but recently after detaching and attaching the machine has started auto mounting the pool, I suspect it because it remembers the recovery keys.

How can I disable this feature.

Thanks

snoozyman99

Cadet
Bump, I understand this is a community, but 16 people viewed this thread, but no one has the decency to respond.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I don't think it works this way. If you reboot does it require you to input your password? When you detach are you using the GUI or cli?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Bump, I understand this is a community, but 16 people viewed this thread, but no one has the decency to respond.
You don't need to bump your own post only two hours after it was posted. If nobody has responded, the most likely reason is that none of the folks who viewed the post knew the answer, or had time to respond at the time. It's not like your subject makes it obvious that your question deals with an encrypted pool. Encrypted pools aren't used very often, because there are lots of ways they can fail, resulting in the loss of all your data. Since they aren't used very much, not too many people here know much about them. So, the thought process regarding your thread probably goes something like this: "Issue importing a pool? I might be able to help. *click* Oh, it's an encrypted pool--never used one of those. Maybe someone else can help."

I believe setting a password for the encryption key is optional. Have you done that?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You don't need to bump your own post only two hours after it was posted. If nobody has responded, the most likely reason is that none of the folks who viewed the post knew the answer, or had time to respond at the time. It's not like your subject makes it obvious that your question deals with an encrypted pool. Encrypted pools aren't used very often, because there are lots of ways they can fail, resulting in the loss of all your data. Since they aren't used very much, not too many people here know much about them. So, the thought process regarding your thread probably goes something like this: "Issue importing a pool? I might be able to help. *click* Oh, it's an encrypted pool--never used one of those. Maybe someone else can help."

I believe setting a password for the encryption key is optional. Have you done that?
I'll echo this statement.

How can I disable this feature.
It's a sign that something is wrong, as it should be impossible to auto-mount. You probably have to backup the keys and stuff like that. It should be in the manual.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you haven't created a password, then downloaded the key and recovery key, why would you expect it to NOT automount by caching the keys and stuff?

Would you rather the OS simply discard the keys and you find out after a reboot that your keys are irretrievably lost and your data is now permanently inaccessible? That's literally how it used to work. :P

snoozyman99

Cadet
I did have a passphrase attached, meh recreated the passphrase and it has begun prompting for it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.